[mou] Pigeon Lake Rookery

Dennis/Barbara Martin dbmartin@skypoint.com
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:29:22 -0500

Today the island was full of young cormorants, herons, and egrets.  Young
birds of all sizes were mauling the adults for food.  There were no young
gulls present and the couple of apparent Ring-billed Gull nests that I had
memorized did not appear to be nests anymore.

The pelicans have apparently not hatched their young yet.  We saw no young
and most of the pelicans appeared to be sitting on eggs.  Hard to estimate
how many nests there are.  Easier to wait to count the young running around
in a while.

Of interest were the two Caspian Terns in a flooded field just south of here
(northwest corner of Hwy 15 and Meeker Cty Rd 18.)  There had been two terns
on the rookery island in late May.  Are these the same?  Who knows!

Dennis and Barbara Martin
dbmartin@skypoint.com