[mou] Superior National Forest

Peder Svingen psvingen@d.umn.edu
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:34:19 -0600 (CST)

Phil Chu and I found several species of interest today (Sunday, 16 March
2003) in the Superior National Forest, including Spruce Grouse in three
locations and a total of 5 Black-backed Woodpeckers. Gray Jays,
nuthatches, chickadees, and finches were very active and vocal throughout
the day. We also checked the St. Louis county road 16 location where
Three-toed Woodpecker was found last winter, and spent a few hours in the
Sax-Zim bog.

As reported by many others in recent weeks, singing White-winged
Crossbills were conspicuous all day long, and were present in every
location we visited. Most were paired up and appeared to be on territory
in suitable breeding habitat. Purple Finches were almost as numerous and
sang vigorously throughout the day. Specific locations for some species
are as follows:

Spruce Grouse - one male 30.5 miles north of Two Harbors on Lake CR 2; two
females 37.0 miles north of Two Harbors on Lake CR 2; and two males along
state highway 1, 10.0 miles northwest of its intersection with Lake CR 2.

Black-backed Woodpecker - one along Spruce Rd, just south of its
intersection with Endless Waters Rd, Lake County; one just south of the
Lake CR 2/state highway 1 intersection; one just east of Jenkins Creek
along St. Louis CR 16; and a pair along McDavitt Rd in the Sax-Zim bog.
No Three-toed Woodpeckers were found.

Gray Jay - total of 18 scattered among all locations mentioned.

Boreal Chickadee - along the Spruce Rd near its intersection with Endless
Waters Rd, Lake County.

Brown Creeper - one seen by Phil along state highway 1, Lake County.

Snow Bunting - two perched in tamarack along the Spruce Rd, Lake County.

Red Crossbill - two observed 45.5 miles north of Two Harbors on Lake CR 2.

Evening Grosbeak - flock seen and heard along state highway 1, about one
mile southeast of Spruce Rd, Lake County.

--
Peder H. Svingen - psvingen@d.umn.edu - Duluth, MN