[mou] FW: [Mnbird] Waterfowl, blackbirds

Jeff Dankert renohawk@hbci.com
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:57:42 -0600

The weekend heat wave has transformed the bird world overnight. I
traveled Sunday up the Mississippi River from Winona to Wabasha and
found:

In Winona, two PIED-BILLED GREBES on Lake Winona and one SANDHILL CRANE
calling on Prairie Island Road. On Prairie Island and Riley Lake, I
found 17 duck species. Some were scarce: Only a few wigeons, green- and
blue-winged teals, pintails, black ducks and wood ducks were seen and
only one each of canvasback and redhead. The only regular ducks missed
were red-breasted merganser and ruddy. However, I did see four fly-by
red-breasted mergansers on the river in Buffalo County, Wis.

On Rollingstone Township Road 8 in Winona County, one FOX SPARROW, and a
mixed blackbird flock that included 16 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS, four COMMON
GRACKLES and one BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDS. Also on this remote road, one
gray-phase screech owl was peeking out of a wood duck box.

For those wanting to see bald eagles on the river, it's prime now. They
dotted the trees and the ice today. I must have seen 200-300 eagles.

The day list for Winona County came to an even 50.

Great timing of weather and weekend!

Regards,
Jeff Dankert
908 Parks Ave Apt 158