[mou] owl trip & other birds in Dakota Co.

Steve Weston sweston2@attbi.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 01:43:40 -0600

Sunday 3/16

Scouting in the afternoon for the owl trip that evening, I found the following new arrivals of note:
Pintail duck in flooded farm field
Am. Robins in several locations foraging on the ground
Eastern Bluebird
Great Blue Heron
Killdeer: 8 total inc. 5 flying by
Red-winged Blackbird males on territory everywhere + one female
mixed blackbird flock with Red-wings, Grackles, Cowbirds, Rusties (at least 5)

The evening owl trip had 14 participants.  Even though they were well behaved (quiet), still could get very little reaction
from the owls.  We had Saw-whets calling at one spot, but they were so quiet that probably half the group never heard a
thing.  A Great-horned Owl called several times from across a field.  The Long-eared Owls were silent or gone.

Steve Weston on Quigley Lake in Eagan
sweston2@attbi.com