[mou] Gr. WF Geese, Houston Co.

Dedrick Benz benzdedrick@hotmail.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 23:37:32 +0000

Well, of course I didn't find any of my target birds today, but I did add
about 18 year birds.  Either I haven't been getting out much, or the
floodgates of Spring are opening up.  A little of both, I presume.

There were at least 59 Greater White-fronted Geese at mile marker 13 (ie 13
miles North of the Iowa border) on 26 which begins just south of La
Crescent, and brings you to New Albin, Iowa.  I found 16 species of Duck
today, including at least 50 Hooded Mergansers at close range 100 yds SE of
the only stoplight in La Crescent.

Other new arrivals:

Tundra Swan (just 1)
16 of the 20 'expected' ducks - missed BW Teal, Canvasback, Gr. Scaup, Ruddy
Duck
Sandhill Crane
Ring-billed Gull
Eastern Phoebe
Song Sparrow
Eastern Meadowlark
Field Sparrow

I also heard a Tufted Titmouse at a trailhead leading into the Dorer State
Forest (I forget exactly where, but I know it's South of MM 13).  Lots of
Raptors today including one Rough-legged Hawk and one Turkey Vulture (pseudo
raptor).

Killdeer, Redwings and Grackles are now officially everywhere.

Dedrick Benz
Winona, MN