[mou] Prairie Island Birding

Kelly Larson Kelly <larson@redwing.net>
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 12:04:18 -0600

Went out for a second round of birding on Monday. I had to get a taste
of all that waterfowl action I've been reading about. Lock and Dam 3 at
Prairie Island had several rafts of mixed species. Along with the Canada

Geese, their were good numbers of Scaup. Pairs of Common Merganser kept
company with Mallards and Gadwall. Two pair of American Widgeon, and
one pair of Bufflehead kept to the middle of the channel. On the far
side I picked out about 6 Northern Shoveler. Bald Eagles were
everywhere, I counted at least two dozen from the view at the end of the

drive, but I wasn't really searching for them. One Great Blue Heron
stood on the ice stubbornly clinging to a backwater pond. He must have
been thinking Van de Camps! On the drive out we spotted a pair of
Bluebirds that had ignored the NSP "No Trespassing" signs and one
Killdeer on some mud flats near the hwy 18 intersection. Drove to the
Ravena Trail bridge for some excellent views of Common and
Hooded Merganser. They were frisky! A number of Bald Eagle at this
location also. The songs of the Red-winged Blackbirds are a tonic for
the spirit!

Good Birding to All,

Kelly
Feathered Friend

--
Visit Our Website ~ http://www.thefeatheredfriend.com

The Great River Birding Festival Is Coming
http://www.mississippi-river.org/birding/