[mou] 3 Loggerhead Shrikes, Dakota Co.

connyb connyb@mycidco.com
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:56:14

This morning at 10:00am at Lake Byllesby there were 5 Common Snipe walking around probing those long bills into the mudflats.

On the way back along State 56 going N just short of 260th St. E I saw a Loggerhead Shrike sitting on a roadside wire.  I pulled over, took out the scope, and was able to get close, clear looks at the wide mask, and stubby bill with short hook.  There were 2 more on 180th St; one on each side of Emery sitting up on the wires.  I also scoped them both out to make sure of ID during this transition time.

I saw Turkey Vultures soaring low, Great Blue Heron's, and several big mixed flocks in the ag fields of Cowbirds, Grackles, Rusty and Red-winged Blackbirds.  It was a really nice morning to be out tooling around with the windows down, enjoying the sound of killdeer calling out everywhere.

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Cty
connyb@mycidco.com