FW: [mou] Urban Minneapolis birding this week

Jonathan Ferguson jferguson@portfolioip.com
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:56:34 -0600

Hello Bob!

I was looking into your book (and others) last night as I was reading up on
and comparing nighthawks, woodcocks, kestrels and peregrine falcons.  I know
now when nighthawks come back to the 'hood: May, not March.  I will never,
ever forget!  ;) You can read my description below, but it's inconclusive,
especially given the early date.  Where's that video camera when you need
one?!

J.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Ferguson
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 2:06 PM
To: 'Mark.Ochs@mortgage.wellsFargo.COM'
Subject: RE: [mou] Urban Minneapolis birding this week

My "guestimate" of the nighthawk was based on wing shape and wing movements,
as well as size, shape, and song.  I say it flying at dusk.  I didn't
observe the notched tail or the white wing bands.

It could have been a kestrel or a peregrine falcon, since it had slender
wings and a slender body, but the wing movements were more fluttery that I
would have expected from these two.  If I remember right, a nighthawk's wing
has a sort-of notch at the backend where it meets the body, and this is what
(I thought) I observed [I'm thinking of the dihedral shaper here].  It
didn't seem to be as stout and long-nosed as a woodcock, but it was a
low-light situation.  It's song was more of a high "meep" -- almost like a
higher, louder murmur of a nuthatch -- than the more raspy "zeep" that you
hear from nighthawks overhead in the summer; but the call/song was a very
similar length and duration.  It flew to and perched very briefly on top of
the Scottish Rite temple near Hennepin and Franklin, and then flew off
toward Lake of the Isles.

Having said all of this, and as you can tell from the tentativeness of my
remarks, I am by no means qualified to ID birds except without all of the
most obvious elements intact.  If nighthawks don't come through until May,
then I'm probably off, and it probably was something else.  I'm so used to
seeing nighthawks in my neighborhood (in the summer, or course) that it was
a bit easy to jump to this conclusion, given the interpretability of other
clues.  I'll start looking in to woodcocks.  If I start getting some
inquiries, I'll pass along this e-mail.

Thanks for the note, Mark!

Jonathan