[mou] Conservation...RE: SF850/HF1077 Conference Committee

Andrew D. Bicek bice0004@umn.edu
Fri, 16 May 2003 11:24:30 -0500

Hello all,

I thought I would post an alternative view to the OHV Bill email that urged
you all to support this manner.  If you are not interested in politics
please delete this message.

In regards to the OHV bill, I read in the paper, that it would limit off
road travel by all vehicles (including cars and trucks) not only ATV's on
forest service roads/trails not marked open (please correct me if I'm wrong
here as that will relieve me).  This scares me as it should all birders.  I
take this to mean that travel on forest service roads will be severly
limited.  In the northern part of our state, the forest service roads go
every where in our state and national forests.  Would this bill limit that
to only trails that are marked open?  If it would, that is scary.  Currently
travel by vehicle is open on these roads/trails and is a great way of
accessing these remote locations.  I personally use them all the time for
access to our state and national forests for birding, hunting, and fishing
and I don't use them with ATV's.  Many of these roads are logging
roads/trails that lead into the forest, and are great for birding and
hunting or accessing remote lakes for fishing or camping.  In addition, many
of these roads/trails lead to private land where people have their cabins.
If we limit travel on these roads, we are effectively making these areas
unaccessable as the only other way in would be hiking, and how many of us
would walk in further than a couple miles (many of these roads go for miles
on miles, and are the only "roads" that lead into the forest).  There is
already land set aside that does not allow travel like the BWCA.  Do we
really want to further limit access to the northern part of the state?
Please do not support this as it will limit access to areas where we
currenly bird, and the roads we are currently allowed to bird on.

My opinion is that birders are being careless here in an effort to stop ATV
use.  My feeling is that the cause for concern about ATV damage has been
when ATV riders ride in the ditch of a road and go up and over driveways and
cause visible ruts.  I agree that this is very frustrating, but why not just
limit ATV driving in the ditch and then step-up enforcement.  The forest
service roads in our state and national forests are a real treat to drive
and explore remote locations.  If you have never been on them, I urge you to
travel on some of them and see what new areas you can explore.  Why would we
want to limit travel on these already established roads/trails?  When the
DNR tried to limit feeding of deer, the states birders got mad because it
would limit their bird feeding.  This is another case perhaps where the
birders do not realize if they support this, they will effectively be making
access to their remote birding locations more difficult.

Sincerely,
Andy Bicek

Just a little more background on this legislation, from Mississippi
Headwaters Audubon.

Randy Frederickson