[mou] Hooded Warblers, Murphy-Hanrehan, Scott Co.

Conny Brunell connyb@mycidco.com
Fri, 16 May 2003 14:46:34

This morning Leslie Marcus, Susan Schumacher, and I went out to Murphy-Hanrehan Park Reserve in Scott Co to try and find a Hooded Warbler.  We more than met our expectations when we we driving in on Scott 75 Murphy Lake Road, just .5 farther from the Park Entrance.  We heard several Indigo Buntings calling, and pulled over next to the orange gated rail to watch them.  When we were looking at them a Hooded Warbler started singing away, and shortly after crossed the road in front of us, and perched on a tree branch.

I have never seen them outside of the interior of the park before, and could hardly believe our good fortune to see him from the road so well.  We saw 7 Hooded Warblers up close and personal on the hiking trails, and they were all singing out in the open in no particular hurry to disappear.  Other Warblers were slow one here and there, but very nice to see and hear the Scarlet Tanagers back in the park.  It was a beautiful morning to take a hike in the woods, and we noticed that the Large-flowered Bellwort was blooming in many spots.

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Cty
connyb@mycidco.com