[mou] Lake Byllesby-Update

jim mattsson mattjim@earthlink.net
Sun, 18 May 2003 16:45:04 +0000

The water level has dropped enough now that some mud flats/ bars are
starting to develop once again. At 3:30pm today (Sunday) I saw the
following species of interest:

Ruddy Turnstone (5)
Dunlin (25)
Black-bellied Plover (1) - still in prealternate molt
Baird's Sp. (several)
White-rumped Sp. (few)

I also took a closer look at the blue-phase Snow Goose reported earlier
today as possible Ross'. In addition to the size (I was twice as large
as adjacent Mallard, just a bit smaller than Canada geese it was with) I
saw a definite grin patch, largish bill with obvious convex facial
border with bill, elongated head-not round. In short, I saw no evidence
that this bird is a Ross' or a hybrid Ross' X Snow Goose.

Jim Mattsson
Eagan