[mou] Yellow-billed Cuckoo's, Anoka County

Conny Brunell connyb@mycidco.com
Sun, 18 May 2003 16:37:32

This morning Leslie Marcus and I decided to bird at Rice Creek West Regional Trail in Fridley, Anoka Co.  From the bridge we saw 2 Yellow-billed Cuckoo's in the trees overhanging the creek.  They did not vocalize but were very actively feeding in and out of the branches giving us good looks at that large yellow bill, and rufous primaries.  While they were bending over feeding they flashed us those large white tail spots, and we watched them until they went deeper into the woods.

There was a nice mix of birds, even though there were no big waves that came through while we were there.  Rice Creek West Regional Trail is just part of the Parks systems that offers a combination of paved and dirt trails with bridges which cross Rice Creek, as it weaves it's way through the park.  A parking lot is located on the East end of the trail on 69th Avenue NE just East of Old Central Ave.

Directions from I 694:
Go East on I 694 to Central Ave ( St. 65)
Central Ave North to Old Central Ave (Co 35)
At a stop light at the South end of Moore Lake make a right turn on Old Central Ave, and follow it to 69th Avenue NE.
Make a Right turn on 69th Avenue NE and look for the entrance to the parking lot on the right hand side of the road.
The Trailhead is at the south end of the parking lot.

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Cty
connyb@mycidco.com