[mou] Re: the migration in general

Kirk Jeffrey kirkjeffrey@yahoo.com
Mon, 19 May 2003 05:54:10 -0700 (PDT)

I share Steve's impressions of the spring migration of
woodland species.  I've birded just about every day in
one of the parks or nature areas along the Minnesota
or Mississippi River in the Twin Cities.
Yellow-rumped Warbler migration seemed normal and
perhaps Palms were about normal too, but otherwise I
have seen few individuals from other warbler
species--just a handful of Magnolias, two or three
Ovenbirds, ditto Cape Mays, etc.  Did not see or hear
a Canada, Mourning, or Connecticut Warbler, though
these are always a bit harder.  Also thrushes seemed
in short supply, except perhaps for Swainson's.  Ditto
with empidonax flycatchers.  Leasts are around, but
not in great numbers it seems to me.  I have heard
some Red-eyed Vireos, but they don't seem to be
singing from every tree as in a normal spring.

But remember that last spring was a particularly good
one.  I think it is not likely that populations of so
many species would have crashed in just one year.  The
wild card in the deck is possibly those severe weather
systems that churned through the lower Mississippi
Valley the past couple of weeks.  Passerine numbers at
any particular location (like ours) can fluctuate
greatly depending on weather in the region and beyond
it.  Let's hope our little feathered friends just
zipped past the Cities at 15,000 ft. enroute to
Canada.

Kirk Jeffrey
St. Paul

=====
Kirk Jeffrey, PhD
Professor of History, Carleton College
One North College St., Northfield MN 55057
Office tel (507) 646-4215

Home 1182 St. Clair Ave., St. Paul MN 55105
Home tel (651) 698-5198