[mou] Lake Elmo Park birds

Hagsela@aol.com Hagsela@aol.com
Sun, 2 Nov 2003 01:38:21 EST

I had a delightful day birding Lake Elmo Park.  I encountered a fallout of
Golden-crowned Kinglets on Trail C, leading towards the red barn.  They were
feeding low.  I was surrounded!  A single Ruby-crowned Kinglet kept the red crown
stripe visible the whole time I watched him working close to my position.
Brown Creepers, Eastern Bluebirds and a Fox Sparrow were also present.  Two
Northern Shrikes and one Rough-legged Hawk made appearances.  On Eagle Point Lake
the variety of waterfowl is increasing:  Buffleheads (4 females), Northern
Pintails (3 males), over 50 Hooded Mergansers, and a small number of Ring-necked
Ducks filled out the many Canada Geese, Mallards, Gadwalls, and American
Wigeon on the west side of the lake, towards the north end.

Linda Sparling
Hennepin County