[mou] Great Gray Owls and Sharp-tailed Grouse, Aitkin County

Bob Dunlap rmdbird@mn.rr.com
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 19:34:44 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0067_01C3A6F8.86E6AAB0

Jeff Stephenson, John and Chris Hockema, and I spent the weekend birding =
Aitkin County and the Duluth vicinity.  Saturday morning/early afternoon =
was spent on Mike Hendrickson's Mille Lacs trip.  We left the group =
around 2p.m. to search for Sharp-tailed Grouse and Great Gray Owls in =
northern Aitkin County.  Just west of Cnty. Rd. 5 a few miles south of =
the town of Palisade, we found 4 Sharp-tailed Grouse feeding in a birch =
tree.  This happened to be John's 300th year bird (Congrats John!).  We =
then drove north on 5 to Cnty. Rd. 18, and drove a couple miles west to =
Pietz's Rd. At the intersection of Pietz's Rd. and Cnty. Rd. 18, we =
found 3 Great Gray Owls hunting along the roadsides (the local family =
group?).  These birds were awesome!
Today (Sunday) we birded the Duluth vicinity.  We searched in vain for =
the Spotted Towhee on Park Point, but did find a pair of Red-bellied =
Woodpeckers as well as a pair of cardinals near the towhee spot.  =
Further down Park Point out from the bus stop/pulloff (bayside) we found =
Black, White-winged, and Surf Scoters.  In the afternoon we, along with =
Mike Hendrickson, searched the Cargill building area in hopes of finding =
a Gyrfalcon.  No luck there, nor back at the towhee spot on Park Point.  =
All in all it was a pretty cold but fun weekend.  Good birding!
-Bob Dunlap, Carver County
------=_NextPart_000_0067_01C3A6F8.86E6AAB0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jeff Stephenson, John and Chris =
Hockema, and I=20
spent the weekend birding Aitkin County and the Duluth vicinity.&nbsp; =
Saturday=20
morning/early afternoon was spent&nbsp;on Mike Hendrickson's Mille Lacs=20
trip.&nbsp; We left the group around 2p.m. to search for Sharp-tailed =
Grouse and=20
Great Gray Owls in northern Aitkin County.&nbsp; Just west of Cnty. Rd. =
5 a few=20
miles south of the town of Palisade, we found 4 Sharp-tailed Grouse =
feeding in a=20
birch tree.&nbsp; This happened to be John's 300th year bird (Congrats=20
John!).&nbsp; We then drove north on 5 to Cnty. Rd. 18, and drove a =
couple miles=20
west to Pietz's Rd. At the intersection of Pietz's Rd. and Cnty. Rd. 18, =
we=20
found 3 Great Gray Owls hunting along the roadsides (the local family=20
group?).&nbsp; These birds were awesome!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Today (Sunday) we birded the Duluth =
vicinity.&nbsp;=20
We searched in vain for the Spotted Towhee on Park Point, but did find a =
pair of=20
Red-bellied Woodpeckers as well as a pair of cardinals near the towhee=20
spot.&nbsp; Further down Park Point out from the bus stop/pulloff =
(bayside) we=20
found Black, White-winged, and Surf Scoters.&nbsp; In the afternoon we, =
along=20
with Mike Hendrickson, searched the Cargill building area in hopes of =
finding a=20
Gyrfalcon.&nbsp; No luck there, nor back at the towhee spot on Park =
Point.&nbsp;=20
All in all it was a pretty cold but fun weekend.&nbsp; Good=20
birding!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Bob Dunlap, Carver=20
County</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0067_01C3A6F8.86E6AAB0--