[mou] Northshore Birding - 11/10/03

EgretCMan@aol.com EgretCMan@aol.com
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:23:54 EST

-------------------------------1068524634

11/10/03

Spent the day bird watching along the Northshore of Lake Superior with Ben
Pearson, between Duluth and Grand Marais.  For the most part the birding was
very slow, but the birds we did find were very nice and in large numbers.  Along
the bay side of Park Point were 100s of Common Goldeneye.  Then around 10:00am
we did the harbor walk at Two Harbors and observed 100s of Pine Sisken's and
Common Redpolls.  Very close and very noisy little birds.  We also observed
Scoter in 4 locations, but only a few in each spot.  Here are those locations
and some other sightings of interest to us.

@ Horned Grebe
@ Snow Goose - Grand Marais - Campground
@ Long-tailed Duck - Knife River Marina
@ Black Scoter - 1 bird was observed at Bay Side Park near Silver bay, 1 bird
was observed at the Tofte Park and boat launch and another was observed from
the Good Harbor overlook rest stop.
@ White-winged Scoter - 3 were observed in the main harbor area of the
Taconite Harbor boat launch and rec. area.
@ Rough-legged Hawk - 5 birds spread out in all three county's, including one
we watched hover in the same spot for about 4 minutes at Stoney Point.  There
was also a Red-tailed Hawk there that exhibited the same hovering in mid air
behavior.
@ Snow Bunting - Seen in many locations, with the largest flock on Lake CR 9
about 4 miles West of Hyw 61.  Seen in the field across from the farm with the
Ostrich's.
@ Rusty Blackbird - along the shoreline at Two Harbors in the main harbor.

Craig Mandel - EgretCMan@aol.com - Minnetonka, MN

-------------------------------1068524634

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUTF-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3Dutf-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1264" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>11/10/03</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Spent the day bird watching along the Northshore of Lake Superior with=20=
Ben Pearson, between&nbsp;Duluth and Grand Marais.&nbsp; For the most part t=
he birding was very slow, but the birds we did find were very nice and in la=
rge numbers.&nbsp;&nbsp;Along the bay side of Park Point were 100s of Common=
 Goldeneye.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then around 10:00am we did the harbor walk at Two Har=
bors and observed 100s of Pine Sisken's and Common Redpolls.&nbsp; Very clos=
e and very noisy little birds.&nbsp; We also observed Scoter in 4 locations,=
 but only a few in each spot.&nbsp; Here are those locations and some other=20=
sightings of interest to us.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>@ Horned Grebe</DIV>
<DIV>@ Snow Goose - Grand Marais - Campground</DIV>
<DIV>@ Long-tailed Duck - Knife River Marina</DIV>
<DIV>@ Black Scoter - 1 bird was observed at Bay Side Park near Silver bay,=20=
1 bird was observed at the Tofte Park and boat launch and another was observ=
ed from the&nbsp;Good Harbor overlook rest stop.</DIV>
<DIV>@ White-winged Scoter - 3 were observed in the main harbor area of the=20=
Taconite Harbor boat launch and rec. area.</DIV>
<DIV>@ Rough-legged Hawk - 5 birds spread out in all three county's, includi=
ng one we watched hover in the same spot for about 4 minutes at Stoney Point=
.&nbsp; There was also a Red-tailed Hawk there that exhibited the same hover=
ing in mid air behavior.&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>@ Snow Bunting - Seen in many locations, with the largest flock on Lake=
 CR 9 about 4 miles West of Hyw 61.&nbsp; Seen in the field across from the=20=
farm with the Ostrich's.</DIV>
<DIV>@ Rusty Blackbird - along the shoreline at Two Harbors in the main harb=
or.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=