[mou] birding festival summary

Jim Williams two-jays@att.net
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:10:23 -0800

Birders:

With enormous numbers of birds, numerous and appreciative visitors,
excellent local hospitality, and superb weather, the November 7-9, Rivers &
Bluffs Fall Birding Festival has come and gone. My wife Betty and I want to
extend a warm thank you to all who came to our friendly little river town of
Lansing, Iowa for the 3-day weekend.

Our 5 boat tours took people into the midst of the waterfowl on pool 9 of
the Upper Mississippi River Wildlife and Fish Refuge, and our on land field
trips focused on pool 8 in Minnesota, pool 9 in Iowa, and tributaries where
we observed Golden Eagles and various other species. Here are some totals:

Aerial Surveys by U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, on Nov. 7th:

Pool 9 field trip area - Upper Mississippi River Wildlife & Fish Refuge -
Swans 4,740; diving ducks 297,695; total ducks, geese & swans 314,140

Pool 8 field trip area - Upper Mississippi River Wildlife & Fish Refuge -
Swans 5,120; diving ducks 77,025; total ducks, geese & swans 92,825

Highlights - 2nd Annual Rivers & Bluffs Falls Birding Festival:

Registrations = 221 people, from 72 cities, in 10 states, and 2 nations.
Birders came to see our local spectacle from CA, WA, MA, MD, MI, IA, IL, WI,
MN, and Washington D.C. (called a state for simplicity), and Ontario,
Canada.
(Last year's festival attracted 175 people from 39 cities in 4 states.)

Our 5 boat tours into the midst of the waterfowl on Pool 9 @ 20 people each,
were well received, as participants enjoyed a unique "Oh Wow" experience.

86 total species were observed during the weekend, including:
Several Golden Eagles each day, Snow Bunting, Pine Siskin, Carolina Wren,
Horned Grebe, Pied-billed Grebe, Long-tailed Duck, Bonaparte's Gull,
and of course, enormous numbers of Tundra Swans and other waterfowl
in a truly wonderful spectacle.

I believe we demonstrated that birders are not only capable, but are also
willing to contribute substantial funds to local bird conservation projects.
$1,750 was raised via our live auction with all proceeds going to support a
52-acre Pool Slough Habitat Restoration and Enhancement Project (total cost
$400,000) which is the centerpiece of the new Pool Slough Wildlife Refuge,
immediately east and northeast of New Albin, Iowa. We thank those who
donated 21 auction items, and the auctioneer who donated his time.

A big thank you to the 6 individuals who made excellent presentations during
the festival; to the 10 enthusiastic and people-oriented field trip leaders;
to Captain Jack Libby, Mississippi River Explorer Cruises; to Jon Stravers
and the Big Blue Sky Band; and to the numerous volunteers who made this
event a huge success.

Thanks are also extended to the 10 co-sponsors of the birding festival, and
the various merchants in Lansing who donated many items for our silent
auction, as well as numerous door prizes.

Income beyond expenses from the festival itself, will support future bird
education and bird conservation activities.

Please note the following in your planners and on your calendars:

3rd Annual Rivers & Bluffs Fall Birding Festival - - Nov. 12-14, 2004.

Ric

Ric Zarwell
Important Bird Areas (IBA) Coordinator
Audubon Iowa
P.O. Box 299
Lansing, Iowa 52151
563-538-4991
zarxzar@salamander.com

Iowa IBA Website:
www.iowabirds.org/IBA

Mission: "To bring MORE people to nature through birding;
and especially, to move MORE birders to effective conservation action."

SHOW UP.... SPEAK UP.... ANTE UP.... For Birds and Habitats

forward by Jim Williams, at Ric's request