[mou] Blue Lake Treatment Plant Closed to Birders

Ned Winters nwinters@isd.net
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:47:27 -0600

After e-mailing back and forth, I had almost a long discussion with staff at
Blue Lake Waste Treatment Plant in Savage today. The facility is closed to
birders and ANY none essential visitor due to increased security measures.
In the short term , this situation will not be changing. This is based
primarily on the tensions and uncertainties felt worldwide. In the long
term, the staff hopes that when worldwide security levels ease so will their
security measures. The staff on their own commented that they would welcome
birders and hope that the day comes when they can open the gate to us again.

I have been advised that if you really want to view the birds within the
plant, they don't have any problem if you want to park at the USFWS parking
lot to the east and walk the trails to the fence at the back side of the
plant. As a courtesy to plant personnel and the guards, please drive up to
the plant gate and notify the guard that you will be walking up to the back
side of the plant. This will help show our good will towards someday being
allowed to enter the facility.

I have been welcomed to continue contacting staff to see if the closed
situation changes.

Ned Winters
Bloomington, Hennepin Co.
nwinters@isd.net