[mou] Cape May Warbler at my Duluth feeder

Laura Erickson lauraerickson@abac.com
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:50:34 -0600

It's 12:45 pm, and I just looked up to see what looks like a first fall male Cape May Warbler at my suet feeder.  He stayed for about three minutes, apparently not noticing the mealworms that the chickadees were coming to, inches from his spot on the suet.  When the chickadee flock moved on, he may have gone with them--I can't see any of them right now.  I didn't think to take a photo during the brief time he was here, but if he returns when the chickadee flock does, my digital camera is ready.  I'll post if he returns, but meanwhile, apparently this is a good time to keep your eyes on chickadee flocks--you never know what might be hanging out with them.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

Journey North Science Writer
<http://learner.org/jnorth/current.html>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

                                --Rachel Carson