[mou] Le Conte's Sparrow, Brown County

Brian Smith brsmith@sleepyeyetel.net
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 19:31:01 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01C38852.8C4A6F10

Hello:

This morning I found Le Conte's Sparrows in good numbers at the Bashaw =
WMA north of Comfrey.  Many of them perched high enough on weed stalks =
to give me excellent views.  I saw at least six Le Conte's and that was =
just in the immediate area surrounding where I stood.  I'm certain there =
must have been many more scattered throughout the entire field.  The =
Bashaw WMA is an excellent place to bird.  I highly recommend it if you =
do any birding in this area. =20

Sunday I found good numbers of American Golden-Plovers in a field =
adjacent to the Red Rock Prairie preserve in Cottonwood county.  I was =
curious to see if there might be any more there today and I wasn't =
disappointed.  Today I found a large flock which totaled sixty eight.  =
Incidentally, I checked out the field, it's just a soybean field that's =
been harvested.  The Plovers find it attractive.  I saw no signs of =
Smith's Longspurs there this week.  Finally, when I was walking along =
the edge of the prairie grasses I found two Orange-crowned Warblers =
foraging.  I was a little puzzled about this until I checked my Sibley =
Guide and read that this warbler is also found in weedy habitat.  All in =
all a good morning for birding.

Brian Smith
Sleepy Eye

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01C38852.8C4A6F10

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This morning I found <STRONG>Le Conte's =
Sparrows=20
</STRONG>in good numbers at the Bashaw WMA north of Comfrey.&nbsp; Many =
of them=20
perched high enough on weed stalks&nbsp;to give me&nbsp;excellent =
views.&nbsp; I=20
saw at least six Le Conte's and&nbsp;that was just in the immediate area =

surrounding where I stood.&nbsp; I'm certain there must have =
been&nbsp;many more=20
scattered throughout the entire field.&nbsp; The Bashaw WMA is an =
excellent=20
place to bird.&nbsp; I highly recommend it if you do any birding in this =

area.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sunday I found good numbers of =
<STRONG>American=20
Golden-Plovers </STRONG>in a field adjacent to the Red Rock Prairie =
preserve in=20
Cottonwood county.&nbsp; I was curious to see if&nbsp;there might be any =

more&nbsp;there today and I wasn't disappointed.&nbsp; Today I found a =
large=20
flock which totaled <STRONG>sixty eight</STRONG>.&nbsp; Incidentally, I =
checked=20
out the field, it's just a soybean field that's been harvested.&nbsp; =
The=20
Plovers find it attractive.&nbsp; I saw no signs of Smith's Longspurs =
there this=20
week.&nbsp; Finally, when I was walking along the edge of the prairie =
grasses I=20
found two <STRONG>Orange-crowned Warblers</STRONG> =
foraging.<STRONG>&nbsp;=20
</STRONG>I was a little puzzled about this until I checked my Sibley =
Guide and=20
read that this warbler is also found in weedy habitat.&nbsp; All in all =
a good=20
morning for birding.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Brian Smith</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sleepy Eye</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01C38852.8C4A6F10--