[mou] Windmills and migration

Laura Erickson lauraerickson@abac.com
Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:33:45 -0500

Wind farms do, indeed, kill birds, but Michelle is right that many of the companies manufacturing them or constructing them seem to be doing their best to minimize mortality.  When a bird dies at a windmill, the body is mangled, and makes a strong statement about how horrible windmills are, but meanwhile, I'm sure many times as many birds die each year or have their reproduction compromised from the effects of mercury, produced by coal-burning power plants.  It's important, even as we do our best to pressure wind-power companies to minimize bird kills, to keep sight of the alternatives.

Conserving energy, no matter how it is produced, is good for birds.

Laura Erickson

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Journey North Science Writer
<http://learner.org/jnorth/current.html>

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

                                --Rachel Carson