[mou] Surf Scoter - Marshall County - 10/8/03

EgretCMan@aol.com EgretCMan@aol.com
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:04:24 EDT

-------------------------------1065708264

10/8/03

Spent the day birding in Marshall County at Agassiz NWR and Old Mill State
Park.  Observed 74 species of birds with some of the following being my favorite
sightings. I found my first Northern Shrike of the year, just East of the
Farmes Pool at Agassiz NWR and there were two Surf Scoters on the South Pool
along CR 7.  I ended up the day in Pennington County at the Thief River Falls
Sewage Lagoons.  Seems there is a huge push of Northern Shovelers, with over 1000
birds counted in two of the 3 pools, before I ran out of light.  There was
also a very cooperative Le Conte's Sparrow in the weeds next to the entrance to
the Thief River Falls Sewage Lagoons.  Here were some of my sightings from the
day.

@ Red-necked, Eared and Western Grebes at the South Pool at Agassiz NWR.
@ Surf Scoter - South Pool Agassiz NWR
@ 9 species of Shorebirds including 3 immature Long-billed Dowitchers, Stilt
& Semipalmated Sandpipers and both Yellowlegs.  These were mostly observed
along the North side of CR 77, East of the Agassiz NWR Headquarters.
@ Herring Gull - Farmes Pool Agassiz NWR
@ Black-billed Magpie - Seen in about 7 locations, just love those birds.
@ Northern Shrike - Just East of the water control structure at the Farmes
Pool.
@ Winter Wren - One bird was observed along the walking trail near the Refuge
Headquarters building.
@ And rounded out the list with 10 species of Sparrow, with the Le Conte's
being the most unusual.

Craig Mandel - EgretCMan@aol.com - Minnetonka, MN

-------------------------------1065708264

<HTML><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUTF-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3Dutf-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1264" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV>10/8/03</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Spent the day birding in Marshall County at Agassiz NWR and Old Mill St=
ate Park.&nbsp; Observed 74 species of birds with some of the following bein=
g my favorite sightings. I found my first Northern Shrike of the year, just=20=
East of the Farmes Pool at Agassiz NWR and there were two Surf Scoters on th=
e South Pool along CR 7.&nbsp;&nbsp;I ended up the day in Pennington County=20=
at the Thief River Falls Sewage Lagoons.&nbsp; Seems there is a huge push of=
 Northern Shovelers, with over 1000 birds counted in two of the 3 pools, bef=
ore I ran out of light.&nbsp;&nbsp;There was also a very cooperative Le Cont=
e's Sparrow in the weeds next to the entrance to the Thief River Falls Sewag=
e Lagoons.&nbsp; Here were some of my sightings from the day.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>@ Red-necked, Eared and Western Grebes at the South Pool at Agassiz NWR=
.</DIV>
<DIV>@ Surf Scoter - South Pool Agassiz NWR</DIV>
<DIV>@ 9 species of Shorebirds including 3 immature Long-billed Dowitchers,=20=
Stilt &amp; Semipalmated Sandpipers and both Yellowlegs.&nbsp; These were mo=
stly observed along the North side of CR 77, East of the Agassiz NWR Headqua=
rters.</DIV>
<DIV>@ Herring Gull - Farmes Pool Agassiz NWR</DIV>
<DIV>@ Black-billed Magpie - Seen in about 7 locations, just love those bird=
s.</DIV>
<DIV>@ Northern Shrike - Just East of the water control structure at the Far=
mes Pool.</DIV>
<DIV>@ Winter Wren - One bird was observed along the walking trail near the=20=
Refuge Headquarters building.</DIV>
<DIV>@ And rounded out the list with 10 species of Sparrow, with the Le Cont=
e's being the most unusual.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DArial size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"=