[mou] Le Conte's Sparrow and Hawks - Olmsted Co

Bob Ekblad ekblad@millcomm.com
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 14:30:27 -0500

I went out looking for sparrows this morning since it was nice a calm.
I walked in on the north side of the East Landfill Reservoir (west of
Rochester) and found a few but didn't find the Le Conte's or Nelson's
Sharp-tailed Sparrows I was looking for (both have been seen some years
in that area in the past).  As I was leaving I noticed a shorebird on
the mudflat and stopped to look and, while sitting there I heard a chip
in the ditch right near the car.  I imitated the chip and up popped a Le
Conte's Sparrow.  The Sharp-tailed is still on my wish list.

A few minutes later I spotted a fairly early immature dark phase
Rough-legged Hawk flying circles over the South Landfill Reservoir as it
gradually moved southward.

Yesterday I had a Kreider's Red-tailed Hawk fly up from the ditch just a
short distance north of the east reservoir.  It had such a white head
and tail I first thought of Ferruginous.  After it was up and flying
around a bit I was able to pick out a tinge of rufous on the tail.  It
also had the bar on the leading edge of the underwing that helped
confirm it was a red-tailed.

--
Bob Ekblad
Olmsted County in SE Minnesota