[mou] Ferruginous Hawk, Lac Qui Parle County

Bob Dunlap rmdbird@mn.rr.com
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:28:32 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C390F7.05E9B4F0

This weekend John Hockema and I, as well as Carol Schumacher on =
Saturday, birded southwest MN.  Saturday was terrible weather for =
birding but today was better.  The highlight of our excursion was =
definitely the juvenile light-morph Ferruginous Hawk that John and I =
found around noon today flying to the east of Salt Lake in Lac Qui Parle =
County.  We were totally in awe as the bird flew close overhead.  We =
followed it around some nearby county roads, getting awesome scope =
looks. We last saw the bird flying southeast from Cnty. Rd. 15.  Other =
cool birds we found:
-Black-headed Gull in Iowa- the Spirit Lake bird was present Sat. but =
never flew into MN (dang!)
-13 shorebird species at Heron Lake, Jackson Co.
-100+ Am. Pipits at the Edgerton sewage ponds, Pipestone Co.
While we couldn't find any Smith's Longspurs and missed on the BH Gull, =
the Ferruginous Hawk definitely made it an outstanding trip. Good =
birding!
-Bob Dunlap, Carver County
------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C390F7.05E9B4F0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This weekend John Hockema and I, as =
well as Carol=20
Schumacher on Saturday, birded southwest MN.&nbsp; Saturday was terrible =
weather=20
for birding but today was better.&nbsp; The highlight of our excursion =
was=20
definitely the juvenile light-morph&nbsp;Ferruginous Hawk that John and =
I found=20
around noon today flying to the east of Salt Lake in Lac Qui Parle =
County.&nbsp;=20
We were totally in awe as the bird flew close overhead.&nbsp; We =
followed=20
it&nbsp;around some nearby county roads, getting awesome scope looks. We =
last=20
saw the bird flying southeast from Cnty. Rd. 15.&nbsp; Other cool birds =
we=20
found:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Black-headed Gull in Iowa- the Spirit =
Lake bird=20
was present Sat. but never flew into MN (dang!)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-13 shorebird species at Heron Lake, =
Jackson=20
Co.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-100+ Am. Pipits at the Edgerton sewage =
ponds,=20
Pipestone Co.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>While we couldn't find any Smith's =
Longspurs and=20
missed on the BH Gull, the Ferruginous Hawk definitely made it an =
outstanding=20
trip. Good birding!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Bob Dunlap, Carver=20
County</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0066_01C390F7.05E9B4F0--