[mou] Red-bellied Woodpecker in Duluth

Laura Erickson lauraerickson@abac.com
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:26:41 -0500

I have had a male Red-bellied Woodpecker at my feeder much of this afternoon (Monday, October 13).  This is the first male I've had here in over 22 years at this house.  I'm hoping he'll stick around, but there has been some serious hawk activity today.  If you're leading a trip around here and looking for one, just email or call and I'll let you know if he's still hanging around.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Journey North Science Writer
<http://learner.org/jnorth/current.html>

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

                                --Rachel Carson