[mou] October 20 north shore trip list - no Thrasher!

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@BestBuy.com
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:28:33 -0500

37 species seen/heard.  Some good ones.  We also found  6 mile creek,
which flows into the Temperance, I believe, to have many whitewashed
rocks in the middle of its flow. Out west, this means Dipper Stream.  I
trout fish a lot, and I never seen this much bird sign on stream
boulders in this state. I am going to check it out next spring, maybe
even this winter, John Muir says they don't migrate, that they can be
heard singing in the dead of winter over the roar of the falls. Who
knows?

>From the cities north to Duluth:
*	Common Raven
*	American Crow
*	Canada Goose
*	Herring Gull
*	Rock Dove

Stony Point:
*	Downy Woodpecker
*	Common Flicker
*	Dark-eyed Junco (Many seen all day, everywhere)
*	American Pipit (3 flying overhead calling)
*	Song Sparrow (only 1, call heard, not seen)
*	White-throated Sparrow (Many, but not as many as I would have
expected)
*	Robins (Probably a thousand seen all day, everywhere, mostly
male)

Two Harbors:
*	Black-capped Chickadee
*	White-breasted Nuthatch

Split Rock Lighthouse
*	Yellow-rumped Warbler

Hwy 61 S of Grand Marais
*	2 Bald Eagles

Taconite Harbor
*	Cedar Waxwings (flock of 8)

Hwy 61 S. of Tofte
*	Merlin (Richardson's male)

Grand Marais campground
*	Bohemian Waxwings (flock of 16 in Mt Ash and spruce)
*	Lapland Longspurs (flyover of 2 calling while we were on the
beach)
*	Snow Buntings (Flock of 14 in gravel parking area from ball
field to beach)
*	Palm Warbler (3 feeding on ground and in low shrubs, not heard
calling)
*	Mallard
*	Ring-billed Gull (At 1:30 pm, over 400 birds flew in from the
west)
*	Horned Lark (9 in flock by office for campground - most have
yellow faces and distinct masks)
*	Purple Finch (not many, seen as singles several times, heard
singing around 11 am)
*	Mourning Dove (6 near boardwalk)
*	European Starling

Hwy 61 1/4 mile S of Grand Marais(While stopped in construction)
*	Grey Jay (a first for me in Grand Marais)

Sawbill Trail
*	Grey Jay (2 seen; 1 crossing the road, 4 mi. north of 61 and 1
on 6 mile creek road)
*	Red-breasted Nuthatch (in red pine and white pine plantation 8
mi north of 61, while trying for Crossbills)

Hwy 61 north of Two Harbors
*	Rough-legged Hawk (seen with binos on good light over head -
male light phase)
*	Red-tailed Hawks (2 seen just uphill from Rough-legged)

Road Home
*	Blue Jay
*	Blackbird (Rusty? Flocks seen near Lindstrom area)
*	Common Grackle
*	Wild Turkey (3 in field east of 35 near Stacy)

Mark Alt
Manager of Project Management
Best Buy Co., Inc. Logistics
Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com <mailto:Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com>