[mou] Peregrine Falcon/Brown County

Brian Smith brsmith@sleepyeyetel.net
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:32:58 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_008C_01C37252.2E3F4910

Hello:

Had one of those moments birding this afternoon that I know I'll always =
remember.  While birding at the Sleepy Eye sewage ponds, I was scanning =
the shoreline with my binoculars looking at shorebirds when a raptor =
came zipping through my field of view.  I followed it and recognized it =
as a Peregrine Falcon.  It alternated between flying low over the water =
and rising up and then stooping on some ducks.  It flew down to the end =
of the berm I was walking on and perched in profile on some of the rock =
riprap.  I was able to approach to within forty yards or so of it before =
it flew off for good.  It appeared to be an adult bird as far as I could =
tell.  The sun was to my back and the dark colored helmet and mustache =
on the head as well as the white on its supercilium really stood out. =20

Brian Smith
Sleepy Eye

------=_NextPart_000_008C_01C37252.2E3F4910

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Had one of those moments birding this =
afternoon=20
that&nbsp;I know I'll always remember.&nbsp; While birding at the Sleepy =
Eye=20
sewage ponds, I was scanning the shoreline with my binoculars looking at =

shorebirds when a raptor came zipping through my field of view.&nbsp; I =
followed=20
it and recognized it as a Peregrine Falcon.&nbsp; It alternated between =
flying=20
low over the water and rising up and then stooping on some ducks.&nbsp; =
It flew=20
down to the end of the berm I was walking on and perched in profile on =
some of=20
the rock riprap.&nbsp; I was able to approach to within forty yards or =
so of it=20
before it flew off for good.&nbsp; It appeared to be an adult bird as =
far as I=20
could tell.&nbsp; The sun was to my back and the dark colored helmet and =

mustache on the head as well as the white on its supercilium really =
stood=20
out.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Brian Smith</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sleepy Eye</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_008C_01C37252.2E3F4910--