[mou] Fall migration vs. spring

Val/Roger writers2@comcast.net
Wed, 03 Sep 2003 16:57:57 -0600

Hello, Tony and other fellow MOU members:

I'm going to be doing some general-interest writing about the differences
between fall and spring migration, with emphasis on fall, for an outdoor
publication.

 Haven't delved too deeply into the topic as yet, but off the top of my head
there seem to be at least 3 major differences:
1. fall migration isn't so driven by hormones and the need to establish
breeding territories, so occurs at a more leisurely pace over a longer
period of time
2. there simply are more birds migrating in the fall, with young birds
joining the adults in the stream
3. plumage differences, following late summer molts.

Are there other important differences that spring to your mind? I'd
appreciate it if you'd share your thoughts.

Thanks!
Val Cunningham
St. Paul, Minn.