[mou] Red-throated Loon in Grand Marais [Fwd for Jim Lind]

Peder Svingen psvingen@d.umn.edu
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:06:01 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded on behalf of Jim Lind who has been unable to post to MOU-net
since his e-mail address changed to <jslind@frontiernet.net> (please note
his new address).

--
Peder H. Svingen - psvingen@d.umn.edu - Duluth, MN

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:18:30 -0500
From: Jim Lind <jslind@frontiernet.net>
To: psvingen@d.umn.edu
Subject: (Fwd) Red-throated Loon in Grand Marais (and other sightings)

Hi Peder,

Here's my message from Sunday that didn't go through to MOU-net.

Jim

From:           	Jim Lind <jslind@frontiernet.net>
To:             	mou-net-request@biosci.umn.edu,
mnbird@lists.mnbird.net
Subject:        	Red-throated Loon in Grand Marais (and other
sightings)
Date sent:      	Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:58:41 -0500

At about 5:30 this evening I found a juvenile Red-throated Loon in
Grand Marais, Cook Co.  The bird was originally seen off the eastern
tip of Artist's Point, but it swam east towards Croftville when a
pair of parka-wearing jet-skiers came along (unbelievable!).  I was able
to watch it from the boat launch parking lot for about 20 minutes before
it got too far away to see well.

While watching the loon I met a pair of birders (Glenn and Kathy U. -
can't remember the last name, sorry) who had earlier seen a Northern
Mockingbird at the Cutface Creek wayside rest, about 4 miles south of
Grand Marais.  We relocated the bird at about 6:30 pm.

On the way up the shore I stopped at the Beaver Bay sewage ponds and
found a Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow and a LeConte's Sparrow.  The
LeConte's was on the north side of the middle pond and the Sharp-
tailed was on the south side.  There were also 20 Pectoral
Sandpipers, both yellowlegs, Wilson's Snipe, a Bonaparte's Gull, and about
100 ducks (mostly Mallards and Green-winged Teal, with one N. Pintail).

At the Lutsen sewage ponds there were also a lot of ducks, along with
two Am. Golden-Plovers and a Vesper Sparrow.

On Saturday, at the Two Harbors airport there was a flock of 21 Am.
Golden-Plovers and 5 Pectoral Sandpipers.

Jim Lind
Two Harbors

**Please note my new e-mail address: jslind@frontiernet.net