[mou] Smith's Longspur and B-c Night-Heron in Two Harbors (fwd)

Peder Svingen psvingen@d.umn.edu
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:09:13 -0500 (CDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:34:36 -0500
From: Jim Lind <jslind@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Smith's Longspur and B-c Night-Heron in Two Harbors

This afternoon I found a juvenile Black-crowned Night-Heron near
Burlington Bay in Two Harbors, Lake Co.  It was in the small grassy
field on the west side of First Street, two blocks south of Highway
61.  Sharon Lind, Peder Svingen, and I relocated it later roosting on
the outer branches of a dense stand of red pine on the west side of
the field.

At dusk we found a Smith's Longspur downtown along Waterfront Drive
at the railroad tracks, below the smaller of the two historic trains.
We had great looks from about 10 yards away, through the scope. It
was very loosely associating with a flock of Lapland Longspurs. We
also had a Vesper Sparrow farther west along the railroad tracks.

Jim Lind
Two Harbors

**Please note my new e-mail address: jslind@frontiernet.net