[mou] Little Blue Heron , Hennepin County

Conny Brunell connyb@mycidco.com
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:30:56

Thanks to Bruce Baer finding the adult Little Blue Heron at the Bass Ponds in Bloomington, Hennepin County and reporting it promptly I was able to relocate it this evening and observe it from 6:40-6:55 pm. On the Hog Back Ridge Trail it had moved towards Old Cedar on the outside loop trail with Long Meadows Lake on your left to the second pond where there is a sign that says "Area Beyond This Sign Closed".  It was down on the ponds edge next to the water and flushed up into the trees as I approached.  What a beautiful sight that was to see the setting sun shine on that slate blue plumage, green legs, and purpleish head and neck feathers while it preened with that gray bill.  When I left it was still sitting in the tree top preening.

To get to the Bass Ponds in Bloomington from I494 going East exit on 24th Ave, and go south on 24th past the Mall of America.  24th Ave turns into Old Shakopee Road and keeps going south.  Turn Left on East 86th St and there is a small brown sign that says Bass Ponds, keep left to the parking lot.  Walk straight down the paved road until you reach the bottom of the hill, from here continue straight ahead following the trail which will loop into Hog Back Ridge Trail and will continue over to Old Cedar Ave Bridge.

Conny Brunell
Richfield, Hennepin Cty
connyb@mycidco.com