[mou] White-faced Ibis - Lewiston, Winona County

ppedersen6@charter.net ppedersen6@charter.net
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:42:22 -0500

I spotted a White-faced Ibis at Lewiston Sewage ponds today (4/30). Several of us watched it for a short while before it flew off towards the NW.

First off, let me just say that I have been unusually lucky lately and most certainly do not have any special abilities. Maybe that will convince John Hockema to quit falling on his knees when he sees me.

I drove to Lewiston this morning about 10:30 to see what all the fuss was about. It lived up to its reputation. There were thousands of shorebirds (though, according to Carol Schumacher, fewer than had been there earlier that same morning) It was overwhelming to a person with just a short amount of time to spend. After about 15 minutes, Chris Hockema drove up and then his brother John and they helped me pick out the different kinds.

They were scoping the NE pond where most of the shorebirds were. I was scoping the NW pond when I spotted the Ibis. Just minutes earlier John had congratulated me on the Ibis I found in Douglas County last Sunday.  I asked the brothers if they wanted to see one here too. I think Chris and John were a bit skeptical and then began to laugh out loud when he looked. There was an adult plumaged White-faced Ibis wading among the waterfowl on the west edge of the pool.

I had to ask John to get off his knees in front of me as he began to call a few people. Carol Schumacher showed up in record time. Unfortunately, before anyone else could get there it flew away. Carol drove off to see if she could relocate it.

Sometimes a person just gets lucky. So don't be following me around because my luck will undoubtedly now change.

Other shorebirds seen pretty much match Chad Aakre's report from the night before except there were no Godwit.

Paul Pedersen
Stewartville, MN