[mou] New Park Master Plan for Lake Byllesby

Drewbec@aol.com Drewbec@aol.com
Tue, 3 Aug 2004 00:02:48 EDT

This is a long message, so if you're really not interested, you might want to
bail out and delete this now.

This past Wednesday evening, Tom Tustison and I attended a meeting in
Randolph, Dakota County, about intended new plans for Lake Byllesby Regional Park. As
many MOU/MOUnet subscribers are aware, the western end of the lake has hosted
an above average share of rare bird records over the last several years. Tom
and I have shared an interest in this area, and were interested in what the
County had planned for the park. This was the third or fourth meeting to take
place this year, but we had been unaware of the earlier meetings. We wanted to
be sure to attend this one, and voice any necessary concerns about developing
or altering the best birding areas.

I'm very pleased to report that 90% of the intended development will take
place at the more heavily used eastern portion. While there have been a few
interesting records from this part of the park, they have occurred at the "off
season" of park usage (i.e., fall through spring), and I personally don't think
there will be significant impacts by the development.

However, there are two different proposals on how to best develop the area
for birders--- acknowledging that birders are indeed the predominant users of
this area. The first proposal would have plans for a parking lot, a kiosk with
helpful information, and a trail leading to a viewing platform. The second
proposal would include everything previously mentioned, but with more trails, and
a second viewing platform located in the marshes south of the delta area where
the shorebirds now congregate. This may sound like a great piece of news, but
I would like to suggest the following: A pair of Bald Eagles has been nesting
for many years on the West side of the town of Randolph, and use the lake for
hunting and loafing. It is not unusual to see the young of the year there in
late summer. The birds frequently use the large dead cottonwood tree on the
South shore for a perch. If the marsh were to have a trail system and a viewing
platform, I'm certain this would increase use, not only by birders but also
curious hikers and other types. Very likely this would impact usage of the area
by the eagles, who are sensitive to human disturbance. I also have concerns
about increased trash and pollution, excessive noise, etc. and the impact on the
shorebirds. I am opposed to the second proposal, and hope others are
concerned as well.

What to do? We have a great opportunity here. Dakota County has acknowledged
the value of this area, not only for the birds attracted to the area, but for
the birders who come to enjoy them. Jim Mattsson and I are currently applying
to have the area designated as an IBA. Beyond that, birder input would be
greatly appreciated by the Park personel. Comments can be written and sent to :

Dakota County Office of Planning
14955 Galaxie Ave
Apple Valley MN 55124

Faxed To:

Dakota County Office of Planning, 952. 891. 7031

Or emailed to:

dc2020@co.dakota.mn.us

Hopefully, those who feel compelled to contribute will agree that less
development would be in the best interest of the birds, and therefore birders.
Increased development can only negatively impact the area.

Thank you for your interest. Apologies for the long message.

Drew Smith
Eagan, Dakota County