[mou] MOU Field Trip Results

Michael Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 20:24:01 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C487BC.CB76ABD0

Well it was a good cool day. It was so cool that the Twin cities people =
were complaining how cool it was on talk radio. For me being from Duluth =
it was a beautiful day and I wore my shorts and sandals to show how =
pleasant the weather was today.

I met the group at 7:00am and we waited around for some missing folks =
till about 20 minutes after the hour. We drove to Carver Co. and began =
our day at Lowry Nature Center. Even though are only warbler was a =
Common Yellowthroat we did manage to see some nice birds and had a fun =
hike around the lake. I caught a Lake Darner (dragonfly) and everyone =
got to see how beautiful dragonflies really up close in which to =
hopefully spark some interest as well in this fast up and coming hobby.

We left Lowry and headed to New Germany for shorebirds and saw 13 =
species. The most notable was a Black-bellied Plover and a Solitary =
Sandpiper.

Chet Meyer who I owe a deep gratitude for doing al the scouting foe this =
trip and help me get from place to place w/o losing people.  The best =
part was we were able to study and go over and over al the field marks =
in separating the Least Sandpipers from Semi-palmateds and Bairds =
Sandpipers. At the end I quizzed them all by asking what shorebird is =
this and that and everyone passed my quiz. They knew very little at the =
beginning and I feel I taught fairly well to go out and ID thier =
shorebirds.

New Germany along Yancy St. was full of shorebirds and the two prominent =
species were Pectorals and Lesser Yellowlegs.  On the west side of this =
slough were a family group of Red-headed Woodpeckers that gave us plenty =
of long views.

Anyway the total species see from 8am to 12:30pm was 62 species. This is =
not to bad a list for the few hours we were out. The best part of going =
home was listening to the Minnesota Twins gain another game on the =
Cleveland Indians!!

Take Care

Mike Hendrickson
MOU Field Trip Guy.

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C487BC.CB76ABD0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Well it was a good cool day. It was so =
cool that=20
the Twin cities people were complaining how cool it was on talk radio. =
For me=20
being from Duluth it was a beautiful day and I wore my shorts and =
sandals to=20
show how pleasant the weather was today.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I met the group at 7:00am and we waited =
around for=20
some missing folks till about 20 minutes after the hour. We drove to =
Carver Co.=20
and began our day at Lowry Nature Center. Even though are only warbler =
was a=20
Common Yellowthroat we did manage to see some nice birds and had a fun =
hike=20
around the lake. I caught a Lake Darner (dragonfly) and everyone got to =
see how=20
beautiful dragonflies really&nbsp;up close in which to&nbsp;hopefully=20
spark&nbsp;some interest as well in this fast up and coming =
hobby.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We left&nbsp;Lowry and headed to New =
Germany for=20
shorebirds and saw 13 species. The most notable was a Black-bellied =
Plover and a=20
Solitary Sandpiper.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Chet Meyer who I owe a deep gratitude =
for doing al=20
the scouting foe this trip and help me get from place to place w/o =
losing=20
people.</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT face=3DArial size=3D2> The best part was we =
were able to=20
study and go over and over al the field marks in separating the Least =
Sandpipers=20
from Semi-palmateds and Bairds Sandpipers. At the end I quizzed them all =
by=20
asking what shorebird is this and that and everyone passed my quiz. They =
knew=20
very little at the beginning and I feel I taught fairly well to go out =
and ID=20
thier shorebirds.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>New Germany along Yancy St. was full of =
shorebirds=20
and the two prominent species were Pectorals and Lesser =
Yellowlegs.&nbsp; On the=20
west side of this slough were a family group of Red-headed Woodpeckers =
that gave=20
us plenty of long views.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Anyway the total species see from 8am =
to 12:30pm=20
was 62 species. This is not to bad a list for the few hours we were out. =
The=20
best part of going home was listening to the Minnesota Twins gain =
another game=20
on the Cleveland Indians!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Take Care</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike Hendrickson</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>MOU Field Trip Guy.</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C487BC.CB76ABD0--