[mou] 3Toed, Spruce Grouse, GGOwl, others

JELLISBIRD@aol.com JELLISBIRD@aol.com
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:39:44 EDT

    Had a long weekend. Went to Koochiching Cnty 13 on Friday AM. Saw a
family group of Spruce Grouse (2 Adults, 4 young, adults flew up in a tree and
clucked at me while the young scampered away, 5.1 miles N. of US 71 on Koochiching
13 near a small beaver dam in the ditch) at 8:30. Looked for 3 Toeds from
9:15 to 12.30 without luck. Went back at 5:30. Saw the male at 7:15 (exactly 2.3
miles S of Koochiching 1 on Koochiching 13) working over a dead Black Spruce.
Played tape about 8 PM and the female responded with drumming and then flew in
to the male. Went back on Sat. AM and the male showed up at the same tree at
6:38, the female flew over, the male left at 7:15, as did I.
    Today I birded St. Louis County. Saw a Great Grey Owl on Owl Avenue just
North of the North bend in the road near the (curve) road sign. Saw mixed
flocks of vireos (Philadelphia and Blue-headed), many warblers, and GC Kinglets
along Owl Ave and especially along St. Louis 83 as it bends along the E. side of
the St. Louis River. Also saw Sandhills in the area and a flock of 35+
Magpies and 40-50 crows feeding in a grassy field and in a hedgerow on the E. side
of St. Louis 29 just N of St. Louis 740.

    John Ellis, St. Paul