[mou] Trip to Ecuador

Chris Fagyal Chris.Fagyal@udlp.com
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:40:13 -0500

Hi all,

Doubt anyone is of interest on such brief notice, but just in case i'll
write a brief post and let folx know...

In 3 weeks from this Sunday I am off to Ecuador again.  This time to
Guango lodge and Papallacta on the east slope of the Andes for 2 days
and then to Yanacocha for 1 day and Tandayapa for 5 days.   My primary
focus for the trip is hummingbird photography.  Secondarily I will, of
course, be birding each day.  The general itinerary/day plan is somewhat
like this:

Sept 19: arrive, night in Quito
Sept 20: Driver picks up early morning, drive to Guango.  Bird the
grounds at Guango, set up and do photography at feeders.  If weather
permits go to Papallacta Pass, superceding any other activity (Weather
doesn't often permit) to look for Rufous-bellied Seedsnipe, Silvery
Grebe, Andean Teal, Andean Ruddy-duck, Andean Condor, Bar-winged and
Stout-winged Cinclodes, Many-striped Canastero, and others.  Hummers
expected include: Shining Sunbeam, Mountain Velvetbreast, Great
Sapphirewing, Tourmaline Sunangel, Sword-billed Hummingbird, Viridian
Metaltail, Tyrian Metaltail, Rainbow-bearded Thornbill, Mountain
Avocetbill, Long-tailed Sylph and others...Night Guango
Sept 21: Bird and photograph around Guango, again go to Pass if weather
permits.  Night Guango
Sept 22: Bird/photograph around Guango, mid afternoon drive back to
Quito.  Night Quito
Sept 23: Early pickup and drive to Yanacocha arriving at 6am when the
gate opens.  Bird/photograph along the track heading up towards the top.
 Several hummingbird feeders line the trail as you walk up the gently
sloping track.  Will be trying to see such things as the spectacular
Ocellated Tapaculo, Scarlet-bellied Mountain Tanager, Tawny Antpitta and
many others.  Hummers expected include Sapphire-vented and
Golden-breasted Puffleg, Buff-winged Starfrontlet, Sword-billed
Hummingbird, Buff-tailed Coronet and others.  Mid afternoon when the fog
rolls in head to Tandayapa.  Night Tandayapa
Sept 24-27: Early morning pre-dawn probably in the forest hide looking
for antpitta's and antthrushes.  They come to a blacklight that attracts
moths etc.  Expected birds that have been seen recently include
Moustached Antpitta (rare but incredible), Scaled Antpitta,
Rufous-breasted Antthrush, Chestnut-capped Brush-Finch.  Other
potentials depending on success of the blind would be early morning at
the lower balcony (especially if the trees are in fruit) looking for
mixed flocks of tanagers etc.  The bird list at the lodge is 292
species.  Side trips will include at least one morning up along the
old-nono-mindo road in the upper Tandayapa Valley looking for
spectacular choco endemics such as Plate-billed Mountain Toucan and
Toucan Barbet amongst others.  One morning or afternoon will be at Mindo
Lindo for Velvet-Purple Coronet and the Club-winged Manakin Lek in the
forest.  Another possible side trip is up to Bellavista, as their
hummingbird feeders attract some species that Tandayapa's gets much less
commonly.  Sept 23-26 night at Tandayapa.  Sept 27 head back to Quito as
evening falls, night in Quito.   Flight back Sept 28th early morning.

You can probably expect to see 35-40 species of hummingbirds, and
depending on how hard I bird probably 200 species of birds.  I did a
somewhat similar itinerary in 2002, except didn't got to Guango, but did
go to the lowlands 3 different days.  The total for me (and I missed the
last 2 days of birding due to injuring my foot) was 332 species.

I'll have calls for most everything that is possible and I know most of
the common stuff reasonably well, and will have plates along for
anything I can't identify by  sight.  If you are a photographer you can
expect some amazing opportunities.  I haven't hired a guide because for
1 person it is just too expensive.  However, if a few people suddenly
send me emails and say they want to go, i'm sure I could somehow arrange
a guide, especially if birding is a higher priority, to head to the
lowlands for a day, or some such.  Going to Pedro Vicente Maldonado
and/or Los Bancos would add a good 150+ species to the possibilities

Cost: 1080$ includes lodging, food, driver for some of the days.
Doesn't include airfare.  Adding a guide for birding would be extra.

You can either write me or call me on my cell at 612-709-4503 if you
have any interest/questions etc.

Cheers,

Chris Fagyal
Senior Software Engineer
United Defense, L.P. ASD (UDLP-GSD 'til Nov 1)
Fridley, MN (San Jose, CA 'til Nov 1)
(763) 572-5320
(408) 289-3840 ('til Nov 1)
chris.fagyal@udlp.com