[mou] adult YCNH, Dakota County

Robert_Russell@fws.gov Robert_Russell@fws.gov
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:09:35 -0500

I had an adult Yellow-crowned Night Heron at 0810 this morning (Friday) in
West St. Paul on the west side of Lily Lake.  The bird was sitting on a low
tree branch which extended out over the lake in the NE portion of the
property owned by the Oakdale Community Church.

Directions:  take the Butler St. exit off U.S. 52 (3 miles S of 494 or 2.5
miles N of downtown St. Paul).  Go west to the first stop sign (Sperl St.).
Continue west 1 block to Carrie St. and turn north and go 2 blocks north to
the corner of Arion St. and Carrie.  The church will be on your right.
Occasionally I see a caretaker there so ask permission if he is on the
site; otherwise there is usually no one present.  If the heron is not
visible here, go north to Bernard St. and turn east (right) for .5 blocks.
There is a public right-of-way (unpaved alley) between two widely spaced
houses which could be walked to and utilized as a scoping area but park on
Bernard St.  There is a small brush pile on this right-of-way.  I'll check
again later tonight (I live on this lake but Pete, the Carolina dog eats
birders during the day) and post additional information if the heron is
still there.  Bob Russell