[mou] RFI: Disposition of dead owls

Chris Fagyal Chris.Fagyal@udlp.com
Fri, 03 Dec 2004 06:58:43 -0600

I certainly am not "collecting" them as I do not feel I have the
appropriate knowledge/skills/licenses to pick up and save dead owls.  I
did however report immediately (within minutes) to the Duluth RBA and
then later that evening to the listservers the exact location of what
appeared to be a roadkill Great Grey in excellent condition (If it wasn'
t on the shoulder of the road, i'd have never known it was probably a
road kill as what I couild see of the bird (I didn't turn it over or
touch it etc) was all in great shape, feather-wise etc)).  Hopefully
this reporting of the owl allowed someone with more experience and
expertise in this area to retrieve it.

Chris Fagyal
Senior Software Engineer
United Defense, L.P. ASD
Fridley, MN
(763) 572-5320
chris.fagyal@udlp.com

>>> Laura Erickson <bluejay@lauraerickson.com> 12/02/2004 17:46:59 PM

Is anyone collecting dead owls this winter for study?  I just received
an
inquiry about what to do about a dead "Barred Owl" hit by a car near
Brimson.  Is anyone studying them to see what condition their bodies
are
in?  If not, is there a good institution where they should be brought?

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

NOTE address change: bluejay@lauraerickson.com

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of
birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains
of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the
winter.

                                 --Rachel Carson