[mou] Surf Scoters, Common Loon north of Read's Landing, south end of L. Pepin

fred lesher corax6330@yahoo.com
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 08:02:10 -0800 (PST)

Wednesday AM there were two Surf Scoters & one C. Loon
seen from the rest stop with "new" stone wall at the
south end of L. Pepin.

"Birders Without Borders" (BWB) studied the scoters
for 45 minutes with 30X scopes at 1/3-1/2 mile from
two vantage points.. We tried to make White-winged
Scoters out of the marks available as the birds swam &
dove & flapped wings. Never were white secondaries
seen. Noted were more/less vertical white loral
patches & flat dark cap and back of neck & white
patches behind the eyes. The foreheads & bill
extensions were "steep". One bird appeared paler
(browner) than the other. One observer noted faintly
orange bills.

The birds actually swam both sides of the red buoys,
so could be seen in MN & WI.

The Common Loon was nearby.

Fred Lesher
Nancy Overcott