[mou] Another Jim Duncan Message to share on Owls

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@bestbuy.com
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 15:54:33 -0600

I read jim Duncan's book and was interested about the studies he lsited
he has done in MN. I emailed him and his response is below.  His book is
one of eh best I have read, really interesting, lots of anecdotes offset
with data and good solid science.

Mark Alt
Brooklyn Center, MN
Hennepin County

I have not yet had the pleasure of visiting the Roseau Bog (Roseau
County)
this winter, and therefore do not have sightings to report.  I have
already
reported to MN media persons and indirectly to MN bird chat groups that
this
year (2004) there was no gray owls using the nest structures in the
Roseau
Bog that I monitor every year (since 1984) and that the small mammal
populations I monitor (since 1986) there in the fall were the lowest I
have
recorded since 1992.

I hope this helps.  I am very much looking forward to presenting a
synopsis
of my great gray research in MB and MN at MN's owl festival in March
2005.
MN is a wonderful place that should take pride in its progressive
management
of forests in a manner that sustains great gray owls from a population
that
extends all the way to the Hudson Bay lowlands!

Cheers, Jim

=20

Dr. James R. Duncan, Manager

Biodiversity Conservation Section

Wildlife and Ecosystem Protection Branch

Manitoba Conservation

Box 24, 200 Saulteaux Crescent

Winnipeg, MB R3J 3W3