[mou] Surf Scoters, Wabasha County (?)

Dedrick Benz benzdedrick@hotmail.com
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 22:53:39 +0000

The 2 Surf Scoters previously reported by Fred Lesher were still at the
downriver end of Lake Pepin, visible from the "stone wall" pulloff today,
Saturday 12/11.

Unfortunately, I still find the state line situation here baffling.  I can
safely say the birds were seen swimming on either side of a line connected
by the red bouys.  There are no green bouys in this vicinity.  Further
downriver, green bouys are closer to Minnesota land, and red bouys are
closer to Wisconsin land.  If indeed, that the state line runs down the
middle of the Main Channel, then I'd have to say these birds were not in
Minnesota.  However, usins Mapquest and my DeLorme's atlas, the state line
appears to give about 40% of the river to MN and 60 to WI, and I would
estimate that the Scoters were MUCH closer to MN land than WI land.
Hmmm...any thoughts on this (possibly inane?) topic are welcome.

Refound Pine Siskins at the cemetery at Weaver Bottoms, and had a Harrier
here, too, along with numerous Canada Geese and Tundra Swans.

Dedrick Benz
Winona, MN