[mou] Request From Sax Zim Community

Sharon Stiteler sharonks@mn.rr.com
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:21:08 -0600

I attended a very exciting meeting today that's part of an effort on several
groups to make the Sax Zim Bog area more birder friendly.  One of the issues
that has been brought up, especially for this year are some of the dangerous
viewing situations that are happening on the roads.  People that work and
live in the community are asking birders to pull off completely to the sides
of roads.  There have been a few instances in the last month of more than
one vehicle stopped in the middle of the streets blocking traffic both ways.
There was also a day when several cars were stopped just on the other side
of a hill and oncoming traffic couldn't see the birders until they were on
top of the hill and very close to hitting them.

This has been a problem with vehicles with Minnesota plates as well as out
of state plates.  As many of us have websites promoting the owls and where
to see them, and we are getting posts from people watching our lists from
out of state, perhaps we can give them friendly reminders to practice
vehicular and pedestrian safety.  Maybe we can even include a friendly
reminder on the Duluth and State Wide Hot Lines.  Locals also pointed out
that some people who live in the area travel very fast down the roads and
with the icy conditions and accident is more likely to occur.

Another request for this year is that since so many owls are being seen all
over the area, avoid stopping and pulling over on 133 and 52 as these are
the roads used most often by locals.  There are some pull off and parking
areas on theses roads and locals assure that many great grays can be seen
from these parking areas.  Also please avoid setting up scopes in the middle
of these particular roads.  The trees really are dripping with owls so you
will see them on some of the less traveled roads.

Of course we saw 19 great grays in the area, 1 northern hawk owl and 1
barred owl and a flock of pine grosbeaks.

--
Sharon Stiteler
Minneapolis, MN