[mou] Marked Snowy Owls

Michael Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 16:13:22 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C3EF27.A3B7CA80

I guess I had no idea my little sentence would stir some debate or =
dialog on marked Snowy Owls in the Twin Ports.

So I'll put my two cents in on this subject, but first I'll clarify my =
intent in the original post was, yes seeing marked Snowy Owls with black =
dye on its head giving it a "beanie" and a green wing tag is tiring to =
see year after year in the Duluth Twin Ports. Yes I know its a project =
that has been on going, I would guess since the 70's. So its about a =
25-30 year study.=20

I know the reason for the wing tag and the beanie is so research guy can =
keep track of its movement and know that this owl has been banded, =
weighed, sex and aged. So the guy doesn't have to recapture the owl to =
see if its banded and etc.. Putting a green tag with large numbers on it =
gives the owl or owls a name like # 2 or # 10 and ect..So research guy =
can follow its movements with binos.

I would think after 25-30 years most questions would be answered by now =
regarding the Snowy Owls in the harbor  but as long as the Fish & =
Wildlife is funding this project or other agencies are ( I am guessing =
here) who knows how ongoing this project is going to last. I know there =
are a 1-3 articles in the Loon but those articles are about 10+ years =
ago. Maybe there is some unknown journal where the data is put in a =
article, I have no idea. Maybe Mark Martell can tell me if there has =
been anything written in the last 10 or 12 years about the Snowy Owl =
project in the Twin Ports?

I have lived all my life in Duluth and nearly 90% of all the Snowy Owls =
I ever saw were marked and tagged.  The only Snowy Owls I saw that were =
not marked were in Two Harbors, Aitkin Co and in Sax Zim bog.  All these =
Snowy Owls were all involve in invasion years that coincided with Great =
Grey Owl invasions.

Anyway, I am all for banding owls, hawks and all birds as long as it =
belongs to a funded research project and we can read the data or results =
of that project in the Loon or some ornithological journal.=20

 I am just not into roaming banding guy that wanders around the state =
looking for raptors to band because the winters are long and there is =
nothing else to do. These guys have no project in mind nor hired or =
funded by any project. They are out to just go out and band owls for the =
fun of it.YES they do exist. They lure the owl in, touch and feel the =
owl, put a band on it, take nice pics of it in the hand and release owl. =
Than go look for another owl and do it again. That to me is LAME!=20

I guess they feel the same thing about me finding a owl, looking at the =
owl, writing directions where the owl is, adding the owl to my winter =
report and go look for another owl. Maybe that is lame as well. Who =
knows..=20

 Anyway, the Snowy Owl project is a interesting project but it would be =
nice to see unmark Snowy Owls in the Harbor area but that day will have =
to wait.=20

Mike

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C3EF27.A3B7CA80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I guess I had no idea my little =
sentence would stir=20
some debate or dialog on marked Snowy Owls in the Twin =
Ports.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So I'll put my two cents in on this =
subject, but=20
first I'll clarify my intent in the original post was, yes seeing marked =
Snowy=20
Owls with black dye on its head giving it a "beanie" and a green wing =
tag is=20
tiring to see year after year in the Duluth Twin Ports. Yes I know its a =
project=20
that has been on going, I would guess since the 70's. So its about a =
25-30 year=20
study. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I know the reason for the wing tag and =
the beanie=20
is so research guy can keep track of its movement and know that this owl =
has=20
been banded, weighed, sex and aged. So the guy doesn't have to recapture =
the owl=20
to see if its banded and etc.. Putting a green tag with large numbers on =
it=20
gives the owl or owls a name like # 2 or # 10 and ect..So research guy =
can=20
follow its movements with binos.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I would think after 25-30 years most =
questions=20
would be answered by now regarding the Snowy Owls in the harbor =
&nbsp;but as=20
long as the Fish &amp; Wildlife is funding this project or other =
agencies=20
are&nbsp;( I am guessing here) who knows how ongoing this project is =
going to=20
last. I know there are a 1-3 articles in the Loon but those articles are =
about=20
10+ years ago. Maybe there is some unknown journal where the data is put =
in a=20
article, I have no idea. Maybe Mark Martell can tell me if there has =
been=20
anything written in the last 10 or 12 years about the Snowy Owl project =
in the=20
Twin Ports?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have lived all my life in Duluth and =
nearly 90%=20
of all the Snowy Owls I ever saw were marked and tagged.&nbsp; The only =
Snowy=20
Owls I saw that were not marked were in Two Harbors, Aitkin Co and in =
Sax Zim=20
bog.&nbsp; All these Snowy Owls were all involve in invasion years that=20
coincided with Great Grey Owl invasions.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Anyway, I am all for banding owls, =
hawks and all=20
birds as long as it belongs to a funded research project and we can read =
the=20
data or results of that project in the Loon or&nbsp;some ornithological=20
journal.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;I am just not into roaming =
banding guy that=20
wanders around the state looking for raptors to band because the winters =
are=20
long and there is nothing else to do. These guys have no project in mind =
nor=20
hired or funded by any project. They are out to just go out and band =
owls for=20
the fun of it.YES they do exist.&nbsp;They lure the owl in, touch and =
feel the=20
owl, put a band on it, take nice pics of it in the hand and release owl. =
Than go=20
look for another owl and do it again. That to me is LAME! </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I guess they feel the same thing about =
me finding a=20
owl, looking at the owl, writing directions where the owl is, adding the =
owl to=20
my winter report and go look for another owl. Maybe that is lame as =
well. Who=20
knows.. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>Anyway, the=20
Snowy Owl project is a interesting project but it would be nice to see =
unmark=20
Snowy Owls in the Harbor area but that day will have to wait. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C3EF27.A3B7CA80--