[mou] Marked Snowy Owls

Laura Erickson lauraerickson@abac.com
Mon, 09 Feb 2004 16:42:03 -0600

Mark is right that marking banded birds under continued observation can be
very important for research.  But I wonder how much of this Twin Ports
research is published--I know of no recent publications at all about this
project.  I also wonder how much research has been done on the tundra to
see if marked Snowy Owls have any difficulties attracting mates.  As you
undoubtedly realize, Snowy Owl males, as they mature, develop more and more
white feathers.  These help to age Snowies in the same way as,
statistically, the red tips on waxwing secondary feathers help distinguish
older birds from younger ones.  Waxwings mate assortatively--meaning ones
with more red tips prefer mates with more red tips, too.  (Older birds tend
to be more successful at raising families than younger, less experienced
ones.)  I suspect that Snowies marked on their heads, particularly males,
may appear less desirable as mates than unmarked ones, and they don't molt,
replacing the dyed feathers, until mid-July.

If I were researching Snowy Owls, barring definite evidence that they are
selected as mates as readily with as without dyes on their head feathers, I
would use color markings only on the wings or tail.

Laura Erickson
Duluth, MN

Producer, "For the Birds" radio program
<http://www.lauraerickson.com/>

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of
birds.  There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

                                 --Rachel Carson