[mou] Snowy Owl/McLeod Co.

Brian Smith brsmith@sleepyeyetel.net
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:03:35 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_00E4_01C3F4A6.6EADFAB0

Hello:

I struck out finding the Snowy Owl in McLeod county last Friday while on =
my way to Duluth for the MOU weekend trip.  Tried again this morning and =
with some searching found the Snowy Owl on a telephone pole about a half =
mile west of Hwy 15 on 220th st.  Just started looking at it through the =
scope when a truck drove by and it flew out into the farm field just to =
the north about a hundred yards.  Fortunately, it landed on top of a =
hill and gave me pretty good looks at it for about ten minutes before it =
took off and flew across 220th to the south.  I cut over to 210th and =
relocated it in the field north of 210th, again about a half mile from =
the highway.  Once again it had landed on top of a slight hill in the =
field and was still there when I left.  If you try to look for this bird =
in this area, I'd recommend looking for it on any of the high spots in =
the fields north or south of 210th and 220th, up to one half mile west =
of Hwy. 15. =20

On another matter, just like to thank Mike Hendrickson, Kim Risen and =
John Hockema for an excellent MOU birding weekend.  I know there were a =
lot of us, but as the saying goes, "the more the merrier" and we had a =
lot of fun.  I'll always remember watching the Sharp-tailed Grouse =
dancing on the lek, the Black-backed Woodpecker drumming and calling at =
Sax-Zim bog, the Great Grey Owl on the telephone line and lots of other =
birding moments.  The birding weekends are a great benefit of being a =
member of the MOU.

Brian Smith
Sleepy Eye

------=_NextPart_000_00E4_01C3F4A6.6EADFAB0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I struck out finding the Snowy Owl in =
McLeod county=20
last Friday while on my way to Duluth for the MOU weekend trip.&nbsp; =
Tried=20
again this morning and with some searching found the Snowy Owl on a =
telephone=20
pole about a half mile <STRONG>west</STRONG> of Hwy 15 on 220th =
st.&nbsp; Just=20
started looking at it&nbsp;through the&nbsp;scope when a truck drove by =
and it=20
flew out into the farm field just to the north about a hundred =
yards.&nbsp;=20
Fortunately, it landed on&nbsp;top&nbsp;of a hill and gave me pretty =
good looks=20
at it for about ten minutes before it took off and flew across 220th to =
the=20
south.&nbsp; I cut over to 210th and relocated it in the field north of =
210th,=20
again about a half mile from the highway.&nbsp; Once again it had landed =
on=20
top&nbsp;of a slight hill in the field and was still&nbsp;there when I=20
left.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you try to look for this bird in this area, I'd=20
recommend&nbsp;looking for it&nbsp;on any of the high spots in the =
fields north=20
or south of 210th and 220th, up to one half mile west of Hwy. 15.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>On another matter, just like to thank =
Mike=20
Hendrickson, Kim Risen and John Hockema for an excellent MOU birding=20
weekend.&nbsp; I know there were a lot of us, but as the saying goes, =
"the more=20
the merrier" and we had a lot of fun.&nbsp; I'll always remember =
watching the=20
Sharp-tailed Grouse dancing on the lek, the Black-backed Woodpecker =
drumming and=20
calling at Sax-Zim bog, the Great Grey Owl on the telephone line and =
lots of=20
other birding moments.&nbsp; The birding weekends are a great benefit of =
being a=20
member of the MOU.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Brian Smith</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Sleepy Eye</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00E4_01C3F4A6.6EADFAB0--