[mou] Minnesota List changes

Jeanie Joppru ajjoppru@wiktel.com
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:45:21 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C3F64F.609B5DF0

Well said, Mike!=20
=20
Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County
=20

-----Original Message-----
From: mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu [mailto:mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu] On
Behalf Of Michael Hendrickson
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 6:03 PM
To: MOU
Subject: [mou] Minnesota List changes

I am sure many on this list really don't care to much about the recent
changes of the Minn. List. I am also fairly confident that these same
people don't care about MOURC.
=20
A Gyrfalcon going from regular to casual was probably a long debate
among the MOURC members since most winter years there are gyr sightings
either migrating by Hawk Ridge in Nov, a sighting in the Duluth harbor
or an individual seen in NW Minn.  I would guess that the comparison of
this bird to the Smith Longspur was used in the arguments as well. The
Smith stayed on the regular list and the other got demoted. =20
=20
I am in favor of what the committee did to the King Rail. Guessing that
there are King Rails nesting in Minnesota is like guessing there are
nesting individuals of Dippers in northern Minnesota. ( some believe
they do nest in Minnesota) Till there comes a time that King Rails do
actually nest in Minnesota, I strongly feel the King Rail should be
added to the accidental group.
=20
As far as the Northern Bobwhite change to exterminated, I would agree
and support this decision the MOURC made on this. How does this effect
the listing game? Well if you saw a Bobwhite in SE Minnesota prior to
2004 the bird will stay on your list anytime now it does not. I know, I
know some on the listserve are going to shake there heads and say
"what"?  Till there is some better knowledge on thier reproductive
success, releasing numbers in SE Minnesota by organized groups and other
factors to prove them they are wild birds that can survive and keep
there numbers up than they should remain on the exterminated list. Just
my opinion.
=20
Also remember you can do WHATEVER you DARN feel like it with your list.
There are no listing police over looking your shoulder to see what is on
your list. IF IF you want them published in the MOU listing supplement
than your list will have to go by whatever listing rules are used or in
place for listers and thier lists.
=20
I know for a fact the majority of MOU members are not strong competitive
listers or active listers that follow recent lumps in species or splits
in species. So this post might be as interesting as stale noodles!
=20
What gets me is there are some good folks on the MOU Records Committee
that do a bang up job! For those that follow every MOURC move and are
very critical of what they do, I would suggest that you attend a MOURC
meeting and see first hand what they do. They are not a bunch of guys or
woman ( sorry Ann) that want to try to make your birding a terrible
experience or do things underground to ruin the fun of some! They are
trying to do what is best for Minnesota Birds, there history, trends,
and etc.. Give them a break. Also there are TERM LIMITS for everyone
except the chair ( unless that was changed?) but most every year there
is a open spot for one to be part of the committee. Is it  swinging
doorway when the same people leave and same people get back on?
NOOOOOOOOO look at all the new faces in there! All the old faces decline
to re enter themselves back in because many of them wanted to see new
faces on the committee. =20
=20
I just don't understand some of the out cry by some that slammed thier
heads against the wall and cried " WHYYYY do they do this"??? " They
need to explain themselves NOW"!!  Man if I ever had to explain
everything I did with the MOU Field Trips I would just lose it and quit.
All these decisions were not done in a few seconds and from what I was
told there was a lot of debate before a decision was made on each
change. So relax. take a breath and realize things are going to be all
right.
=20
I thank MOURC for all there hard work they do!  You know at one time I
was a hard critic of them and after attending there  meetings and
listening to a 2 hour discussion on Eurasian collared-Doves and
Great-tail Grackles I am glad I found the MOU Field Trip position. I
would than be the one slamming my head against wall crying " WHYYYYY" if
I was a MOURC member! hahahah
=20
Peace!
=20
Mike H

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C3F64F.609B5DF0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
<TITLE>Message</TITLE>

<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D890574300-19022004><FONT face=3D"Franklin Gothic =
Demi"=20
color=3D#0000ff>Well said, Mike! </FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT face=3D"Franklin Gothic Demi">
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT face=3D"Franklin Gothic Demi">Jeanie =
Joppru</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT face=3D"Franklin Gothic Demi">Pennington =
County</FONT></DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px =
solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader lang=3Den-us dir=3Dltr =
align=3Dleft><FONT=20
  face=3DTahoma size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B>=20
  mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu [mailto:mou-net-admin@cbs.umn.edu] <B>On =
Behalf Of=20
  </B>Michael Hendrickson<BR><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, February 18, 2004 =
6:03=20
  PM<BR><B>To:</B> MOU<BR><B>Subject:</B> [mou] Minnesota List=20
  changes<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am sure many on this list really =
don't care to=20
  much about the recent changes of the Minn. List. I am also fairly =
confident=20
  that these same people don't care about MOURC.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A Gyrfalcon going from regular to =
casual was=20
  probably a long debate among the MOURC members since most winter years =
there=20
  are gyr sightings either migrating by Hawk Ridge in Nov, a sighting in =
the=20
  Duluth harbor or an individual seen in NW Minn.&nbsp; I would guess =
that the=20
  comparison of this bird to the Smith Longspur was used in the =
arguments as=20
  well. The Smith stayed on the regular list and the other got =
demoted.&nbsp;=20
  </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am in favor of what the committee =
did to the=20
  King Rail. Guessing that there are King Rails nesting in Minnesota is =
like=20
  guessing there are nesting individuals of Dippers in northern =
Minnesota. (=20
  some believe they do nest in Minnesota) Till there comes a time that =
King=20
  Rails do actually nest in Minnesota, I strongly feel the King =
Rail&nbsp;should=20
  be added to the accidental group.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As far as the Northern Bobwhite =
change to=20
  exterminated, I would agree and support this decision the MOURC made =
on this.=20
  How does this effect the listing game? Well if you saw a Bobwhite in =
SE=20
  Minnesota prior to 2004 the bird will stay on your list anytime now it =
does=20
  not. I know, I know some on the listserve are going to shake there =
heads and=20
  say "what"?&nbsp; Till there is some better knowledge on thier =
reproductive=20
  success, releasing numbers in SE Minnesota by organized groups and =
other=20
  factors to prove them they are wild birds that can survive and keep =
there=20
  numbers up than they should remain on the exterminated list. Just my=20
  opinion.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also remember you can do WHATEVER you =
DARN feel=20
  like it with your list. There are no listing police over looking your =
shoulder=20
  to see what is on your list. IF IF you want them published in the MOU =
listing=20
  supplement than your list will have to go by whatever listing rules =
are used=20
  or in place for listers and thier lists.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I know for a fact the majority of MOU =
members are=20
  not strong competitive listers or active listers that follow recent =
lumps in=20
  species or splits in species. So this post might be as interesting as =
stale=20
  noodles!</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What gets me is there are some good =
folks on the=20
  MOU Records Committee that do a bang up job! For those that follow =
every MOURC=20
  move and are very critical of what they do, I would suggest that you =
attend a=20
  MOURC meeting and see first hand what they do. They are not a bunch of =
guys or=20
  woman ( sorry Ann) that want to try to make your birding a terrible =
experience=20
  or do things underground to ruin the fun of some! They are trying to =
do what=20
  is best for Minnesota Birds, there history, trends, and etc.. Give =
them a=20
  break. Also there are TERM LIMITS for everyone except the chair ( =
unless that=20
  was changed?) but most every year there is a open spot for one to be =
part of=20
  the committee. Is it&nbsp; swinging doorway when the same people leave =
and=20
  same people get back on? NOOOOOOOOO look at all the new faces in =
there! All=20
  the old faces decline to re enter themselves back in because many of =
them=20
  wanted to see new faces on the committee.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I just don't understand some of the =
out cry by=20
  some that slammed thier heads against the wall and cried " WHYYYY do =
they do=20
  this"??? " They need to explain themselves NOW"!!&nbsp; Man if I ever =
had to=20
  explain everything I did with the MOU Field Trips I would just lose it =
and=20
  quit. All these decisions were not done in a few seconds and from what =
I was=20
  told there was a lot of debate before a decision was made on each =
change. So=20
  relax. take a breath and realize things are going to be all=20
right.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I thank MOURC for all there hard work =
they=20
  do!&nbsp; You know at one time I was a hard critic of them and after =
attending=20
  there &nbsp;meetings and listening to a 2 hour discussion on Eurasian=20
  collared-Doves and Great-tail Grackles I am glad I found the MOU Field =
Trip=20
  position. I would than be the one slamming my head against wall crying =
"=20
  WHYYYYY" if I was a MOURC member! hahahah</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Peace!</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike =
H</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C3F64F.609B5DF0--