[mou] Minnesota List changes

Michael Hendrickson smithville4@charter.net
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:03:18 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C3F649.7CED7C50

I am sure many on this list really don't care to much about the recent =
changes of the Minn. List. I am also fairly confident that these same =
people don't care about MOURC.

A Gyrfalcon going from regular to casual was probably a long debate =
among the MOURC members since most winter years there are gyr sightings =
either migrating by Hawk Ridge in Nov, a sighting in the Duluth harbor =
or an individual seen in NW Minn.  I would guess that the comparison of =
this bird to the Smith Longspur was used in the arguments as well. The =
Smith stayed on the regular list and the other got demoted. =20

I am in favor of what the committee did to the King Rail. Guessing that =
there are King Rails nesting in Minnesota is like guessing there are =
nesting individuals of Dippers in northern Minnesota. ( some believe =
they do nest in Minnesota) Till there comes a time that King Rails do =
actually nest in Minnesota, I strongly feel the King Rail should be =
added to the accidental group.

As far as the Northern Bobwhite change to exterminated, I would agree =
and support this decision the MOURC made on this. How does this effect =
the listing game? Well if you saw a Bobwhite in SE Minnesota prior to =
2004 the bird will stay on your list anytime now it does not. I know, I =
know some on the listserve are going to shake there heads and say =
"what"?  Till there is some better knowledge on thier reproductive =
success, releasing numbers in SE Minnesota by organized groups and other =
factors to prove them they are wild birds that can survive and keep =
there numbers up than they should remain on the exterminated list. Just =
my opinion.

Also remember you can do WHATEVER you DARN feel like it with your list. =
There are no listing police over looking your shoulder to see what is on =
your list. IF IF you want them published in the MOU listing supplement =
than your list will have to go by whatever listing rules are used or in =
place for listers and thier lists.

I know for a fact the majority of MOU members are not strong competitive =
listers or active listers that follow recent lumps in species or splits =
in species. So this post might be as interesting as stale noodles!

What gets me is there are some good folks on the MOU Records Committee =
that do a bang up job! For those that follow every MOURC move and are =
very critical of what they do, I would suggest that you attend a MOURC =
meeting and see first hand what they do. They are not a bunch of guys or =
woman ( sorry Ann) that want to try to make your birding a terrible =
experience or do things underground to ruin the fun of some! They are =
trying to do what is best for Minnesota Birds, there history, trends, =
and etc.. Give them a break. Also there are TERM LIMITS for everyone =
except the chair ( unless that was changed?) but most every year there =
is a open spot for one to be part of the committee. Is it  swinging =
doorway when the same people leave and same people get back on? =
NOOOOOOOOO look at all the new faces in there! All the old faces decline =
to re enter themselves back in because many of them wanted to see new =
faces on the committee. =20

I just don't understand some of the out cry by some that slammed thier =
heads against the wall and cried " WHYYYY do they do this"??? " They =
need to explain themselves NOW"!!  Man if I ever had to explain =
everything I did with the MOU Field Trips I would just lose it and quit. =
All these decisions were not done in a few seconds and from what I was =
told there was a lot of debate before a decision was made on each =
change. So relax. take a breath and realize things are going to be all =
right.

I thank MOURC for all there hard work they do!  You know at one time I =
was a hard critic of them and after attending there  meetings and =
listening to a 2 hour discussion on Eurasian collared-Doves and =
Great-tail Grackles I am glad I found the MOU Field Trip position. I =
would than be the one slamming my head against wall crying " WHYYYYY" if =
I was a MOURC member! hahahah

Peace!

Mike H
------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C3F649.7CED7C50

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am sure many on this list really =
don't care to=20
much about the recent changes of the Minn. List. I am also fairly =
confident that=20
these same people don't care about MOURC.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>A Gyrfalcon going from regular to =
casual was=20
probably a long debate among the MOURC members since most winter years =
there are=20
gyr sightings either migrating by Hawk Ridge in Nov, a sighting in the =
Duluth=20
harbor or an individual seen in NW Minn.&nbsp; I would guess that the =
comparison=20
of this bird to the Smith Longspur was used in the arguments as well. =
The Smith=20
stayed on the regular list and the other got demoted.&nbsp; =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am in favor of what the committee did =
to the King=20
Rail. Guessing that there are King Rails nesting in Minnesota is like =
guessing=20
there are nesting individuals of Dippers in northern Minnesota. ( some =
believe=20
they do nest in Minnesota) Till there comes a time that King Rails do =
actually=20
nest in Minnesota, I strongly feel the King Rail&nbsp;should be added to =
the=20
accidental group.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As far as the Northern Bobwhite change =
to=20
exterminated, I would agree and support this decision the MOURC made on =
this.=20
How does this effect the listing game? Well if you saw a Bobwhite in SE=20
Minnesota prior to 2004 the bird will stay on your list anytime now it =
does not.=20
I know, I know some on the listserve are going to shake there heads and =
say=20
"what"?&nbsp; Till there is some better knowledge on thier reproductive =
success,=20
releasing numbers in SE Minnesota by organized groups and other factors =
to prove=20
them they are wild birds that can survive and keep there numbers up than =
they=20
should remain on the exterminated list. Just my opinion.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Also remember you can do WHATEVER you =
DARN feel=20
like it with your list. There are no listing police over looking your =
shoulder=20
to see what is on your list. IF IF you want them published in the MOU =
listing=20
supplement than your list will have to go by whatever listing rules are =
used or=20
in place for listers and thier lists.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I know for a fact the majority of MOU =
members are=20
not strong competitive listers or active listers that follow recent =
lumps in=20
species or splits in species. So this post might be as interesting as =
stale=20
noodles!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What gets me is there are some good =
folks on the=20
MOU Records Committee that do a bang up job! For those that follow every =
MOURC=20
move and are very critical of what they do, I would suggest that you =
attend a=20
MOURC meeting and see first hand what they do. They are not a bunch of =
guys or=20
woman ( sorry Ann) that want to try to make your birding a terrible =
experience=20
or do things underground to ruin the fun of some! They are trying to do =
what is=20
best for Minnesota Birds, there history, trends, and etc.. Give them a =
break.=20
Also there are TERM LIMITS for everyone except the chair ( unless that =
was=20
changed?) but most every year there is a open spot for one to be part of =
the=20
committee. Is it&nbsp; swinging doorway when the same people leave and =
same=20
people get back on? NOOOOOOOOO look at all the new faces in there! All =
the old=20
faces decline to re enter themselves back in because many of them wanted =
to see=20
new faces on the committee.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I just don't understand some of the out =
cry by some=20
that slammed thier heads against the wall and cried " WHYYYY do they do =
this"???=20
" They need to explain themselves NOW"!!&nbsp; Man if I ever had to =
explain=20
everything I did with the MOU Field Trips I would just lose it and quit. =
All=20
these decisions were not done in a few seconds and from what I was told =
there=20
was a lot of debate before a decision was made on each change. So relax. =
take a=20
breath and realize things are going to be all right.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I thank MOURC for all there hard work =
they=20
do!&nbsp; You know at one time I was a hard critic of them and after =
attending=20
there &nbsp;meetings and listening to a 2 hour discussion on Eurasian=20
collared-Doves and Great-tail Grackles I am glad I found the MOU Field =
Trip=20
position. I would than be the one slamming my head against wall crying " =

WHYYYYY" if I was a MOURC member! hahahah</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Peace!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike H</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C3F649.7CED7C50--