[mou] Prairie Falcon in Richfield, Hennepin County

Alt, Mark Mark.Alt@BestBuy.com
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:49:49 -0600

Today at 2 pm I was sitting at my desk when I caught view of a raptor
flying at me from the north of the Best Buy HQ in Richfield, Hennepin
County, along 76th street heading west towards Penn Ave.  It was clearly
a large Falcon, so I stood and told some of my coworkers "check out this
bird", thinking it was a Peregrine, which I have seen 3 times in the
past year here. It was at my eye level 4 stories above the street and
about 40 feet away at its closest point. I couldn't resist playing Frank
Nicoletti, as I stood and proclaimed in my outside voice "Prairie
Falcon" as it passed by the window and on to the west, parallel to 76th
Avenue.  The light brownish tan dorsal color, streaked lighter breast
and clearly contrasting dark wing liners were clearly seen in good light
as it flew by. It was larger than the Rock Pigeons that cruise the area
all the time, yet not as stocky. It had long tapered wings, its wing
beats were not very fast, and reminded me of the Peregrines I have seen
in level flight when not in hot pursuit, much like up at Hawk Ridge as
they pass.  6 people watched it pass and remarked how cool it was. I had
to get out the bird book for several to show what made it a Prairie.  I
told them it may be at the Airport or coming from over near Hiawatha.
Any of these birds being seen this year? Time to look around, I guess.
Pretty darn good yard bird for work, I'd say.=20

Mark Alt
Brooklyn Center, MN
mark.alt@bestbuy.com

"Birds and their songs are important to me, they add to my enjoyment of
life"=20