[mou] Smith's Longspur, N. Mockingbird-Cook

Benjamin Fritchman fieldfare21@hotmail.com
Mon, 05 Jan 2004 09:14:12 -0600

While on our 4 day hiatus to try and see 100 birds, John & Chris Hockema and
myself found some unusual birds.
It started on Jan. 1 with a SWAMP SPARROW in Whitewater WMA, along with a
SONG SPARROW and RW BLACKBIRD. Later at Black Dog we located a BROWN
THRASHER! We also found a Whooper Swan hanging out with the TUNDRA SWAN at
Dangerfields. We ended the day at 52 species.
Day 2  brought us to Grand Marais where we were joined by Josh Watson, we
had a flock of 60+ LT DUCKS at Paradise Beach, around 50 BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS
in town along with another SONG SPARROW. While driving through town I
spotted a NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD at the corner of 3 & 4 St. We all had great
looks at it. From there we drove down to the campground where there wasnt
much happening. We decided to walk around near the Folk House where Josh had
found a SMITH'S LONGSPUR on Dec. 17th! We walked around for a while with no
luck, but soon a Longspur Sp. came flying over our heads. It kept flying
though and we never could tell if it was a Smith's or not. Then a man came
out and Josh asked him if he had seen the Smiths lately and the man told us
it was here earlier this week when he was there. It hangs around the parking
lot but could possibly fly to the campground area because that's where our
Longspur flew from. So maybe it's still hanging around. 63 species at the
end of the day.
Day 3 brought us to N. Lake County where we struck out on a lot of things.
We did find the 2 HARLEQUIN  DUCKS and a GRAY JAY. 65 species.
Day 4 we spent with Mike Hendrickson finding 4 species new for the year
including BOREAL CHICKADEES at Owl Avenue and ST GROUSE. 69 species
>From here Chris Hockema will continue to try and get to 100 around the
cities and SE by the 9th.

Ben Fritchman
Long Prairie, MN

Enjoy a special introductory offer for dial-up Internet access — limited
time only! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup