[mou] Location of Boreal Chickadee and White-winged Crossbills seen during Rice Lake NWR CBC

Michelle_McDowell@fws.gov Michelle_McDowell@fws.gov
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 08:35:00 -0600

They were found in a conifer stand along a gravel road just east of the
refuge.  Directions from the Rice Lake NWR Headquarters on Hwy 65 are:
travel north along Hwy 65 for 3/4 mi, turn east and travel 1/2 mi.  The
conifer stand is on the north side of the road.  I did not see either
species there when I checked yesterday and Sunday, but I did have several
common species on Sunday (common redpoll, black-capped chickadee,
white-breasted nuthatch, and downy woodpecker).  Another spot boreal
chickadees hang out at is Co Road 18 (Aitkin Co).  This is the area folks
have been seeing great-gray owls.

Michelle McDowell
Wildlife Biologist
Rice Lake National Wildlife Refuge